Alert Section

Information for Landlords and Managing Agents

1 December 2022

Text stating 'The way you rent is changing...'
Here's what landlords need to know...


​ Convert exisiting tenancies

Occupation contracts can start verbally, but you must issue a written statement of the contract to all contract-holders (this replaces the current tenancy or licence agreement).

​ Be aware of new notice periods for possession

No-fault notice (periodic standard contracts only) - six months minimum for new occupation contracts, and can’t be served in frst six months of occupation.

Breaches: No notice period for anti-social behaviour (you can apply to the court straight after giving the notice); 14 days for serious rent arrears (arrears of 8 weeks / 2 months); one month’s notice for other breaches.

​ Ensure properties are Fit for Human Habitation

Including electrical safety testing and ensuring working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors are provided.

​ Repossess an abandoned property

without needing a court order, after serving a four-week warning notice.

​ Contract-holders can be added or removed

Without having to end the current contract and start another one.

​ Enhanced succession rights means the contract holder is entitled to pass on their home

(Up to two times) to other people that live with them (including a spouse, adult children or a carer) if they die.

If you would like to be kept informed and received updated on changes to legislation, grants, etc, then join our Landlord and Agents mailing list at:

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 is the biggest change to housing law in Wales for decades and will affect all landlords, agents and tenants.

The law comes in effect on 1 December 2022, BUT you need to ACT NOW to ensure you and your tenants are complying with the new law.

Visit for more information.

Flintshire County Council can help private landlords and managing agents.

The main contact details to find out information and help are:

01352 703811 or

Housing Law Change Logo 2

The Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 is the biggest change to housing law in Wales for decades and will affect all landlords, agents and tenants.

The changes will occur on 1 December 2022 and will improve how we rent, manage, and live in rented homes.

For more information, please watch this video or visit


Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are payments that may be made by the Council to people that are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element), but who may still need further financial help with their housing costs

To see if your tenants are eligible for benefits, you can use the Benefits Calulators on Turn2Us or Entitled To


Help Available

To arrange to have rent paid directly to you if your tenants find themselves in financial difficulty:

- If in receipt of Housing Benefit (HB)

- If in receipt of Universal Credit (UC)

- If your tenant needs help or support to sustain their tenancy

Tai Teg

Tai Teg provides different options regarding affordable housing, including properties that are for sale or for rent. Tai Teg manage the affordable / intermediate housing register. 

For more information about current eligibility criteria and to apply, please visit Tai Teg - Am I eligible to apply


All private rented property in Wales must be registered and licensed with Rent Smart Wales (RSW) and have a valid Energy Performance Certificate with an energy rating of A to E.

If the property is rated F or G, it cannot be let, unless an exemption has been registered.

Rent Arrears

If you are thinking of serving notice due to rent arrears or other problems with the tenancy, please contact us for help and support.

Call the Housing Support Duty Officer on 01352 703515 or email

 We can offer you advice if you need help to bring a property that has been empty  back into satisfactory condition, so as to be able to rent it out.

For more information, go to the Empty Properties page.


Bond Scheme

When securing accommodation in the Private Rented Sector (PRS) applicants generally need to pay rent in advance and a deposit to the landlord or agent.

Offering a range of services to landlords across North Wales, including an all-inclusive tenancy start up package with no hidden extras so you can be reassured that you won’t be asked to pay for any additional services before your tenant moves in.

Rent a Room

If you already have a lodger or are thinking of letting out furnished rooms in your property, you may qualify for ‘The Rent-A-Room Scheme’.