Alert Section

Disrepair of privately rented property

Flintshire County Council believes that everyone has the right to live in a home, which is in good repair, has ready access to all necessary amenities, is safe and is free from physical hazards of all types. The Environment and Resources Division works to ensure that all Private Sector tenants whose conditions fail to meet those standards outlined above are assisted so that their accommodation can reach this level.

What should I do if I feel my accommodation is not up to the standard?

The first point of contact should always be the owner/landlord of the property to discuss your concerns and ask that any defects be put right. Remember they may not even know that work is required to the property. The owner/landlord should then be given a reasonable time period to carry out the repairs. This time period is very much dependant on the type of repairs required.

My landlord has refused to carry out any work to the property. What can I do?

If the owner of the property has refused to carry out repairs or has agreed to repairs, but fails to start them at the agreed time you can contact the Environment and Resources Division. An Environmental Health Officer will then carry out an inspection and take up your case with the landlord.

You can contact the Environmental Control Team by emailing: