There are approximately 500 long term empty properties in the County. This loan is to help owners bring empty properties back in to use. This is in the form of an interest free loan to cover works which bring the property up to the Decent Homes Standard. An example would be, works to remedy serious disrepair, provide modern kitchen and bathroom facilities, improve heating systems and insulation, and to remove any serious hazards which could affect the well-being of the occupier, such as dampness, dangerous stairs or electrical wiring.
- Max: £10,000 interest free loan.
- Council holds share of property to be repaid on sale or transfer.
- For owners of 6months plus, surveyed as ‘non-decent’ vacant residential properties to bring up to lettable standard, to be occupied by Council nominated tenants.
- Applicant has an owners interest
- Applicant must have sufficient equity within their property to cover the loan amount
- Property non-decent or has category 2 hazards significantly above the average age of the property
- Applicants property must be long term vacant (over 6 months) and the Council satisfied that a housing need exists in the area
- Property must be tenanted until the loan is released
- Property owner must agree to the property being managed by a social lettings agency
- Flintshire County Council retains tenancy rights for the duration of the agreement.
- On completion of the works, the property meets the Decent Homes Standard
- Property must be covered by buildings insurance until the loan is repaid
- Maximum loan of £10,000 subject to eligibility testing and loan assessment
- Minimum loan of £500
- The Council holds a share of the property value, to the cost of the works
- Loan is repaid on sale or transfer or cessation of nomination rights
- Voluntary early repayment may be made at any time
Applications will also be considered from first time buyers who wish to reside at the property themselves and who are also registered on the Council’s Affordable Home Ownership Register. These applicants are not subject to the conditions relating to the management of the property by a social lettings agency, FCC retaining tenancy rights and the requirement to become an accredited landlord.
For more information contact 01352 703398.