Alert Section

Information for Landlords and Managing Agents

The Renting Homes Wales Act

In 2016 the Welsh Government passed the new Renting Homes (Wales) Act 2016 that came into force from 1st December 2022.

Landlord Responsibilities

Details about the responsibilities that all landlords and managing agents within Wales must fulfill.

Housing Conditions

Details about the conditions that all landlords and managing agents within Wales must ensure their properties meet.

Finding a Tenant

Our Landlord Support Team can offer a wide range of support in setting up a new occupational contract.


An EPC (Energy Performance Certificate) is required for any property that is built, sold, or rented. There is a fine for those who do not obtain a valid EPC when it is required. As a Landlord you must be able to show a copy of your EPC to any prospective contract holders (tenants).

The certificate contains an energy efficiency rating from A to G. A being the most efficient and G the least. Landlords renting out a property must have a rating of E or above in order to comply with the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards.

The EPC lasts for 10 years and provides information on a property’s energy usage and running costs, as well as recommendations on how a property can improve their rating and reduce energy usage and costs. 

Follow the link below to find an accredited assessor.

Finding a trusted trader

We know how important it can be to find a trusted contractor and with concerns about rogue traders it can be difficult to know what to look out for. At Flintshire County Council we support the Buy With Confidence scheme. Buy With Confidence is made up of several Trading Standards services to provide a list of approved contractors who you can be assured are qualified, experienced and have been strictly vetted. 

Follow the link below to find a business near you.


As a Landlord it is important to keep your property safe and up to the correct standards. This involves ensuring the electrical installations in your properties are up to date.

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) must be obtained by the Landlord which outlines the outcome of the test and any remedial work that may be required. The report lasts for five years at which point a new test must be carried out.

This report must be given to an existing contract holder (tenant) within 28 days of the of the test being carried out, to any new contract holder before they move in or to any prospective contract holder within 28 days of the request being made. If the local authority makes a request to see a copy of the report it must be supplied within seven days of the request. 

Landlords must then keep a record of this report as you will need to provide it to the tester undertaking the new test in five years time.


Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are payments that may be made by the Council to people that are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (housing element), but who may still need further financial help with their housing costs

To see if your tenants are eligible for benefits, you can use the Benefits Calulators on Turn2Us or Entitled To

Help Available

To arrange to have rent paid directly to you if your tenants find themselves in financial difficulty:

- If in receipt of Housing Benefit (HB)

- If in receipt of Universal Credit (UC)

- If your tenant needs help or support to sustain their tenancy

Tai Teg

Tai Teg provides different options regarding affordable housing, including properties that are for sale or for rent. Tai Teg manage the affordable / intermediate housing register. 

For more information about current eligibility criteria and to apply, please visit Tai Teg - Am I eligible to apply


All private rented property in Wales must be registered and licensed with Rent Smart Wales (RSW) and have a valid Energy Performance Certificate with an energy rating of A to E.

If the property is rated F or G, it cannot be let, unless an exemption has been registered.

Rent Arrears

If you are thinking of serving notice due to rent arrears or other problems with the tenancy, please contact us for help and support.

Call the Housing Support Duty Officer on 01352 703515 or email

 We can offer you advice if you need help to bring a property that has been empty  back into satisfactory condition, so as to be able to rent it out.

For more information, go to the Empty Properties page.


Offering a range of services to landlords across North Wales, including an all-inclusive tenancy start up package with no hidden extras so you can be reassured that you won’t be asked to pay for any additional services before your tenant moves in.

Rent a Room

If you already have a lodger or are thinking of letting out furnished rooms in your property, you may qualify for ‘The Rent-A-Room Scheme’.