Alert Section

Equipment and Adaptations to Support Independence

Equipment can be used to support people in their everyday lives to continue to do the things that are important to them. It is often available online, in local disability shops and national chains as well as via specialist organisations. A list of places can be found at the end of this information, although this is not exhaustive.

Often people can access the right solution themselves by contacting our services for impartial advice and information. The Welsh Government are encouraging people, their families and friends to find solutions wherever possible with the introduction of the Social Services and Wellbeing (Wales) Act 2014.

This allows our services to focus on those that needs us most. If someone has ongoing needs and even with this information, don't feel confident to follow this through, we can offer a proportionate assessment, and in some cases a trial of equipment to ensure it is likely to work for you before you purchase something. This offers the opportunity to think about what is important to you and discuss ideas of how it can be achieved.

For those with more specialist needs, a more detailed assessment is carried out focusing on the 'occupations' or day to day activities you want to carry out and the support that you and/or your carers need. Specialist equipment is trialled alongside other solutions, such as examining routines and techniques that may help and in some cases adaptations. A plan is drawn up with yourselves and/or carers and families to establish who is responsible for what elements of the plan. This may involve specialist moving and handling or telecare equipment which may need regular servicing.

For help and advice contact: 

  • Email:
  • Write to:  Single Point of Access, Preswylfa, Hendy Road, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 1PZ.
  • Tel: 03000 858858

Adaptations to Support Independence

Adaptations to people’s homes aim to support them to remain as independent as possible and to carry out their daily ‘occupations’, such as looking after themselves, getting around in their homes and out into the community to do the things that matter to them. 

The Welsh Government’s ‘Enable’ scheme is a way of people finding out more about the support they need irrespective of whether they live in their own home or rent privately or through the council or housing association. 

They class the adaptations as small, such as grab rails and stair rails; medium, such as stair lifts and level access bathrooms and larger which may involve planning and building regulations to achieve. 

Some small adaptations, such as grab rails, can be obtained directly by contact with your landlord through this scheme (information on the Welsh Government website)


Occupational Therapists and Disability Officers employed by Flintshire Social Services are skilled in carrying out assessments and making recommendations about the type of changes that would support you, your family or carers to be involved in daily life. 

In some cases, recommendations may be for simple grab rails that give people peace of mind and confidence and may be something that people are happy to fund themselves with the right advice and information. 

In line with the Social Services and Wellbeing Act (Wales) 2014, as part of the assessment, other aspects will be discussed which could lead to achieving outcomes, including possible changes to lifestyle, use of different techniques and/or equipment or when works would be considerable, consideration of the benefits to moving to somewhere more suitable.

Community Resources 

You can find out your nearest chemist by calling NHS Direct Wales on 0845 46 47 or on the web at

There are also special shops selling equipment - see Yellow Pages under "Mobility & Access" or on the web at

Some local providers include:

Disability Resource Centre, Ysbyty Glan Clwyd, Sarn Lane, Bodelwyddan, LL18 5UJ. 01745 341967

DSL Mobility Ltd, 141 Holt Road, Wrexham, LL13 9DY. 01978 253520

Ableworld: 17 Georges Crescent, Wrexham, LL13 8DA. 01978 358588
St David's Retail Park, High Street, Saltney, CH4 8SN. 01244 675608

Vision Support:  Unit 1&2, The Ropeworks, Whipcord Lane, Chester, CH1 4DZ 01244 381515

North Wales Deaf Association  77 Conway Road, Colwyn Bay, Conwy, LL29 7LN.
Telephone: 01492 530013 Fax: 01492 532615 SMS: 07719 410355

The Disabled Living Foundation is a charity offering free, impartial advice about all types of equipment for older and disabled people. Their helpline is on 0300 999 0004 or go online to

Flintshire County Council do not take any responsibility for actions of individual companies.