Alert Section

Planning Permission Advice

Please note that we cannot process paper applications please submit via the portal or the e-mail inboxes below.

If you have a query please try and submit this via email directly to the officer. If you do not know the officer’s email address please use the following address: 

  • For planning matters email
  • For building regulations email
  • For highway development email 

Some minor extensions, alterations and additions to your home can be carried out without requiring planning permission, this is known as permitted development.  These rights do not apply to flats and maisonettes.  Full planning permission is always needed for new dwellings.

How do I find out if my proposal is permitted development or needs permission?

Use the Planning Portal Interactive House tool / view a list of common projects

This visual guide takes into account permitted development rights and explains the various limitations which apply.   The Planning Portal common projects section also contains a list of over 30 tailored guides, including: conservatories, doors and windows, extensions, fences, gates and garden walls, garage conversion, outbuildings (sheds, greenhouses), porches, satellite, TV and radio antenna, solar panels, working from home etc. 

In addition, the Welsh Government has produced guidance to help you understand how permitted development rules might apply to your circumstances:

Download the Householder Guide and Technical Guide documents 

Calculating volume

Use the Planning Portal Volume Calculator to help you work out the volume of your proposal.

Still not sure if you need planning permission?

A Duty Planning Officer will be available to advise as to the need for planning permission in general terms or, in relation to a specific enquiry, give an opinion as to whether or not planning permission will be required.  We aim to make an officer available between the hours of 9am and 1pm.  Email:  or telephone: 01352 703331.

If you want to be certain that your proposed use or development does not require planning permission you can apply for a formal determination, called a Lawful Development Certificate (section 192)

What else should I consider?

Whether or not you need householder planning permission you should be aware that you may need:

  • Listed building consent or Conservation area consent as permitted development rights are more restricted in certain circumstances.
  • Consent for works to protected trees. 
  • Building regulations approval, as this is different from planning permission.
  • Permission to build over/across a public right of way.
  • Permission to drop a kerb and or widen a driveway.  Discuss your intentions with Highways Development Control on 01352 704611 first as they can also advise on the need for planning permission.
  • Permission to work on party walls, boundary walls and excavations near neighbouring buildings. Part Wall Act 1996 

How to apply for planning permission

Apply online or download forms, view fees and advice on what to include

Planning Aid Wales is an independent charity providing advice and support on all aspects of land use planning in Wales. Visit or call the planning helpline service on 02920 625 000 for more information.