Conservation Areas

Covid-19 situation -  Built Conservation helpline 07770 211401


Conservation areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest.  The local planning authority has a statutory duty to designate them and to preserve and enhance their special character or appearance. Permission may be needed before undertaking works to any property within a conservation area.

A number of features may make up the character of a conservation area, such as building materials, styles and features, a particular road layout or development pattern.  Archaeology, the local topography, trees, landscaping, the wider landscape, views and vistas are also important.

What can I do in a Conservation Area?

Most homeowners have certain ‘permitted development’ rights, which means they do not have to apply for planning permission for certain works.  In conservation areas, some of these rights are removed and the information below is a guide to help you decide whether permission is needed for certain works.

Local Planning Guidance Note 7 – Conservation Areas

Ancillary to providing additional controls over development trees within Conservation Areas are afforded protection.

Protected Trees within Conservation Areas 

Applying for consent

Information on applying online, downloading application forms, and what to include in your application can be found on our Apply for permission web page.

Please note

If you are planning works to a property you may also need listed building consent, planning permission, or approval under Building Regulations.

Conservation areas in Flintshire

In Flintshire there are currently 32 conservation areas:

  • Centres of historic market towns (3): Flint, Holywell, and Mold.
  • Parts of villages (18): Cadole, Caergwrle, Caerwys, Cilcain, Ffynnongroyw, Gorsedd, Gwaenysgor, Gwespyr, Halkyn, Hawarden, Llanasa, Nannerch (2), Nercwys, Northop, Trelawnyd, Whitford, and Ysceifiog.
  • Smaller designations (11): Gladlys, Glan yr Afon, Kinsale Hall, Leeswood Hall, Lygan y Wern, Oakenholt Hall, Pantasaph, Plas Bellin, Plas Onn, Talacre Abbey, and The Wern.

View a map showing the location of conservation areas in Flintshire 

Contact us


Telephone: 07770 211401