Listed buildings

Covid-19 situation -  Built Conservation helpline 07770 211401


Works to listed buildings - do I need permission?

A listed building has more stringent planning protection than an ordinary building, as a result permission is often needed before undertaking works.  You will need to apply for listed building consent if either of the following cases apply.

  • You want to demolish a listed building.
  • You want to alter or extend a listed building in a manner which would affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest.

The guidance note below provides further information about how listed buildings are chosen, what type of work you need permission for and how an application for consent is processed.

Local Planning Guidance Note 6 – Listed Buildings

Starting work on a listed building without obtaining approval from the LPA is a criminal offence and you could be fined, made to redo the work, prosecuted or even jailed.

Applying for consent

Information on applying online, downloading application forms, and what to include in your application can be found on our Apply for permission web page.  No fees are required for a listed building consent application.

How do I find out if a building is listed?

In Flintshire there are almost 1032 listed buildings, of these, 27 are Grade I, 79 Grade II* and the rest Grade II.  You can find out if a building is listed by contacting the Environment and Conservation Section.  Phone 07770 211401 or email

Historic Environment (CADW)

Cof-Cymru - National Historic Assets of Wales (CADW)