Home > Resident > Roads, Streets and Travel > Public rights of way

Public rights of way

Rights of Way Improvement Plan

Flintshire County Council has reviewed and redrafted its Rights of Way Improvement Plan, the Plan sets out how the Council intends to deliver improvements to the network over a 10 year period.  

The revised draft plan with a new-style Statement of Action and the full range of Policies and Procedures are being shared with interested parties and the Council would encourage people to feed back their comments to assist in the delivery of a modern rights of way service, maintaining the network for the communities in Flintshire. The two documents can be viewed on the following links – ROWIP final draft and Policy Doc. 

Please e-mail feedback to - publicrightsofway@flintshire.gov.uk 


Ramblers visitor survey to inform the Rights of Way Improvement Plan.  Completed forms can be emailed to countryside@flintshire.gov.uk or handed in at the Main Reception:


Maps and Routes

Explore the Public Rights of Way Network on our interactive map

Ordnance Survey 'Explorer' Maps: The County is covered by maps 256 "Wrexham & Llangollen", 265 "Clwydian Range" and 266 "Wirral & Chester" which are at a scale of 1:25,000. Explorer maps are quite up to date and show rights of way and any changes that have taken place very clearly. They also show field boundaries, so it is easy to see where the paths run.  Visit the Ordnance Survey website  

Temporary Closures

Occasionally it is necessary to close public rights of way on a temporary basis for public safety reasons; for instance to enable excavations or maintenance to take place or because construction is taking place next to them.  Below is a list of temporary closures on the public rights of way network:

Report a Rights of Way Issue

Report Rights of Way issues online using CAMS (Countryside Access Management System):

Enter CAMS (already registered)
Register for CAMS* 

*If a user wants to report a fault they will need to have registered in CAMS and then be subsequently logged in.  To register, the user will be required to provide some basic personal data including an email address for contact purposes. Once logged in they can access the web map where they will be able to identify the location of the problem and enter details from drop-down lists.  Once a fault has been submitted, the user will be automatically sent a confirmation email. Checking on the progress of an individual problem can be done via the reference number which will have been issued at the time of reporting on the confirmation email, though we are currently looking at adding a feature which will, if required, list all the reports that have been made by an individual user.

On entering the system the first page a user will see is a public web map.  This will allow the user to explore the Rights of Way network by navigating around the map, go to selected locations and switch layers off and on.  There are differing types of icons on the map which indicate the different types of furniture such as stiles and kissing gates and when these are clicked on information about the furniture will be displayed in speech bubbles.  If photographs are available of the furniture thumbnail photos will be displayed in the speech bubble and if clicked on will open a larger web-ready version of the photograph.

Reporting problems using this system will assist the Rights of Way Team and users of the network to improve the network and build a picture of those areas in need of most attention.  Information provided will assist with the prioritising of programmes of work, targeting effective enforcement and directing the work of the Footpath Inspectors and Rights of Way officers.

Report Rights of Way issues without using CAMS:

For any other problem relating to a public right of way whether it is an obstruction, aggressive animals, missing signposts, damaged or out of repair stiles or damaged or unsatisfactory surface then please publicrightsofway@flintshire.gov.uk or telephone 01352 704612.

Please note that if you require an update on your case then please log via the CAMS system.

It would be helpful if you could provide as much information as possible about the nature and location of the problem.   

For issues relating to dog fouling, drainage, grass cutting, shrub maintenance / weed control, street cleansing, street lighting - please email streetscene@flintshire.gov.uk or telephone 01352 701234.  

Public Rights of Way Register

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 (the 1980 Act) enables any landowner to deposit maps, statements and statutory declarations showing which ways, if any, that they acknowledge as public rights of way over land in their ownership. Under section 31A of the 1980 Act (as amended), it is a requirement for every local authority to set up and maintain a register containing information on those maps and statements deposited and declarations lodged.  Under section 53 of and schedule 14 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (the 1981 Act) anyone may apply to the County Council, as surveying authority, to modify the definitive map and statement of public rights of way by:

  • adding ways that have been unrecorded;
  • altering the status of ways already recorded;
  • deleting ways that have been included in error; or
  • making any other amendments to the map and statement.

Section 53B of the 1981 Act (as amended) requires every surveying authority to establish and maintain a register of these applications, including details such as path numbers, the location and the progress with the application. 


Public Rights of Way Section 31(6) Register

Public Rights of Way Section 53B Register