Alert Section

Housing Support

Illustration of a house comprised of the following words that are related to Housing Support: Education, Community Groups, Maintain Accommodation, Keeping Home Safe, Managing Money, Rent Arrears, Benefits, Rebuilding Relationships, Filling Forms, Employme

Housing Support is a Welsh Government funded programme which provides housing related support services to people over the age of 16. It is an early intervention programme to support activity which prevents people from becoming homeless, stabilises their housing situation, or helps potentially homeless people to find and keep accommodation. Support is person centred, aimed at supporting people to secure and maintain sustainable housing by addressing problems they may face.

You can access Housing Support services by completing a referral via the link below. Alternatively, you can contact the service on 01352 703515 or by emailing the Housing Support Team at Other ways of accessing the service are; ask your social worker, health professional, other professionals from a relevant agencies or a friend or family member to complete a referral on your behalf. 

Referral Form

Housing Support Strategy

This Strategy provides a very clear vision of ending homelessness and overcoming housing problems, for all partners working to improve the lives of the people of Flintshire.

As we now focus on the recovery from the pandemic, we know we must do more to tackle the causes of homelessness and remove barriers to people being able to move into long term safe and settled housing at a time when the housing market is changing, and demand for affordable housing is increasing

By working together we can all achieve more.

Open the Housing Support Strategy

Supported Accommodation 

 Flintshire County Council commission a number of Supported Housing Projects aimed at working with people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. These Projects offer housing and support services and are an option for people who are not yet ready to take on their own accommodation

Our dedicated Projects / Support Workers will work with you to build on your skills, address any issues that are preventing you from accessing long term independent accommodation and aim to help you move on from Supported Accommodation to a place of your own as soon as you’re ready. 

Find out more


 Frequently Asked Questions

How can Housing Support help me?

Housing related support is provided to help people develop or maintain the skills and confidence necessary to live as independently as possible. It can involve:

  • Help to maintain tenancies
  • Help with managing money/paying bills
  • Help with keeping the home safe
  • Help with accessing education and employment
  • Help with benefits and finances
  • Help to understand and fill in forms
  • Help to join local community groups
  • Help to rebuild relationships
  • Help to find suitable and affordable accommodation.

Client Categories

The client categories for Housing Support funding are as follows:

  • People experiencing Domestic Abuse
  • People with Learning Disabilities
  • People with Mental Health Issues
  • People with Alcohol Issues
  • People with Substance Misuse Issues
  • People with Criminal Offending History
  • People with Refugee Status
  • People with Physical and/or Sensory Disabilities
  • People with Developmental Disorders (e.g. Autism)
  • People with Chronic Illnesses (including HIV, AIDS)
  • Families with Support Needs
  • Single People with Support Needs aged 16+
  • Generic/Floating Support/Peripatetic (tenancy support services which cover a range of user needs)

How long can I receive Housing Support?

There is no time limit on how long you can receive Housing Support. Your support will remain in place until your Housing Situation is stabilised. 

What if I have previously received Housing Support?

There is no limit on how many times you can be supported by the service. If your case has been closed you may need to complete a new referral. 

Who will support me? 

Your referral will be assessed by the Housing Support Gateway and allocated to the most appropriate Support Provider.