What To Put In Your Bin
Disposal of waste - Corona virus
Please do not put tissues or wipes/cloths in the recycling. The advice for disposal of this waste is as follows:
- Personal waste (such as used tissues) and disposable cleaning cloths should be placed securely within disposable rubbish bags
- These bags should be placed into another second bag, tied securely and kept separate from other waste
- This should be put aside for at least 72 hours before being put in your usual external household waste (black) bin.
- Pasta, rice & cereal
- Food past its use-by date
- Mouldy food & leftovers
- Fish / meat (inc. bones and skin)
- Tea bags & coffee grounds
- Eggs (& shells), cheese & yoghurt
- Fruit & vegetable peelings
- Stale bread, cakes & confectionery
- Pet food
- Solid fat
Not accepted: No liquids or oils. Oil banks are available at your local tip. Do not pour fat/oil down the drain it can clog drains/sewers. Packaging of any kind, even if it is biodegradable.
We will not empty caddies if plastic bags or biobags not issued by us are used to line them as this can contaminate the load. Biobags are expensive, please fill them before tying them up.
Request more biobags
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge clippings
- Twigs and small branches
- Pot plants
Not accepted: Windfalls or kitchen waste (put these in your food waste caddy). Animal waste, bedding or feathers. Soil, stones or rubble. Plastic bags, paper or cardboard.
- Glass bottles and jars (without lids and rinsed free of food)
Not accepted: Pyrex , drinking glasses, light bulbs, broken glass, plate glass (window panes), tins & cans, plastic bottles.
- Office type paper
- Letters / junk mail (with addresses and plastic windows removed)
- Shredded paper (bagged separately)
- Directories / Yellow Pages
- Magazines / brochures
- Boxes (flattened)
- Greeting cards (tape / plastic / glitter removed)
- Egg boxes
Not accepted: drinks cartons / Tetra pak, Pringles and Twiglet containers, greeting cards with glitter or other attachments, photographs. foil wrapping paper, clingfilm etc.
*can be mixed with plastic bottles*
- Drinks cans
- Food tins
- Pet food cans
- Aerosols (with plastic lids and buttons removed)
- Metal jar lids
- Biscuit / sweet tins etc
- Aluminium foil (clean - no grease / food residue)
Not accepted: cling film, food trays / take away containers / pie trays, paint tins etc.
*can be mixed with metal tins and cans*
Accepted: - please rinse free from contents and squash items
- Drinks bottles
- Shower Gel
- Washing Up Liquid
- Household cleaners (including trigger sprays)
- Margarine tubs
- Yoghurt/noodle pots
- Food trays
- Fruit punnets
- Food and Beverage Waxed cartons e.g. juice cartons, custard cartons etc.
Not Accepted – Polystyrene, cling-film, crisp packets, plant pots, black trays
- Non recyclable rubbish for landfill
- To avoid rubbish ending up in landfill please ensure you recycle as much as possible.
- Garden waste
- Food waste
- DIY items – paint, paint tins, stones, gravel, rubble, builders’ waste, tiles
- Clinical waste - medical waste, needles
- Dead pets
- Cooking oil
- Engine oil
- Electrical items
- Business waste
- Hazardous waste (solvents, chemicals, paint, engine oil, batteries, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs containing mercury, poisons, baits)