Alert Section

Garden Waste

Garden Waste Collection Charges 2022

Garden Waste collections will operate between 1 March and 10 December for the 2022 season. 

Subscriptions for the 2022 garden waste collection season are now closed.

Please do not remove the sticker you were provided with from your brown bin when your collections end. This will be used for the 2023 collection service if you choose to subscribe again.

Subscriptions for the 2023 season will be opened in the New Year.

Why is this year’s charge for garden waste collections different from last year (2020-2021)?

Before the pandemic, permits for the yearly service were issued based on two tariffs; £32 for payments made online and £35 for telephone or face to face payments (if made after 28th February). 

Due to the pandemic, it became necessary to suspend the garden waste collection service in order to maintain statutory services. As the garden waste collections for the full season were not provided, a discount was applied to the following year for residents who had paid in full for a reduced service the previous year. 

In normal circumstances, we offer the collection service for 42 weeks of the year based on the two tariffs outlined above.  In 2020-2021, due to the pandemic, the service was suspended for 11 weeks and the charge for 2021-2022 was therefore reduced on a pro-rata basis to £24 and £27 accordingly.

This year, it is anticipated that collections will be provided as usual and therefore the charges for 2022-2023 have reverted to the previous tariffs of £32 for payments made online and £35 for telephone or face to face payments (if made after 28th February). 

Where do I place the new RFID sticker?

Click the image to play the video

Please affix the sticker using the instructions enclosed in the subscription pack. This allows the readers on the vehicles to show payment and ensure that the stickers aren't damaged by the lifting equipment.

The collection crews will not collect any garden waste bins without a sticker displayed.

Where to Place Your QR Code

Why have you changed to RFID stickers?

We have been making improvements to the way the waste and recycling collection services operate, such as installing vehicle tracking, telematics and 360 degree CCTV to all of our collection vehicles.  All of this helps us to make our services more efficient, improves the information available to residents and contributes towards us achieving our recycling target of 70%.  

In 2020, we carried out a successful trial using an electronic sticker for brown bins, known as RFID (radio frequency identification).  

This year, we will be issuing a new sticker, which contains an RFID (radio frequency identification) tag, to all households who subscribe for the collection service.  The intention is for the electronic stickers, which work in a similar way to shop security tags or stickers, to be attached to the brown bin and registered to each property.  The electronic sticker is intended to be automatically scanned by a chip reader on the bin lift at the back of the bin wagon to confirm that a subscription is in place and make it easier for the crews to identify the bin is eligible for collection. The chip reader is similar to a supermarket scanner or barcode reader and the only data that will be recorded is that the bin has been collected.

The use of RFID stickers will help us to identify immediately whether a collection has been missed, record the emptying of the bins and confirm that all bins on the round have been processed.

How long will these stickers last?

The new RFID sticker is highly durable and will remain on your bin for several years to come and will be activated each year when you sign up for the annual subscription or deactivated if you choose not to subscribe.

What is the QR code for?

The QR (Quick Response) code, which you can scan with your mobile phone will take you directly to the Flintshire website where you can check your bin day (calendar) or find out more information about our waste and recycling services.

How will the sticker work?

The sticker will be automatically scanned by a chip reader on the bin lift at the rear of the vehicle to confirm that a subscription has been paid. The sticker can only be read during the emptying process and only by the reader affixed to the collection vehicle.

When the bin is presented to the vehicle a light will show green if a subscription has been paid, then the bin will be emptied. A red light will show if a subscription has not been paid and the bin will be returned to the property without emptying.

The only data that will be recorded on the readers is that the bin has been collected. This information will be monitored by our operational staff and will inform us which bins have or have not been collected on the round. It will also show the progress of our collection round vehicles. This information will also assist with resident enquiries through our Contact Centre.

What will happen with my data from the stickers?

This sticker holds no personal data, only a unique reference number, which is specific to your property address. The electronic sticker will automatically be scanned by a chip reader on the bin lift at the rear of the vehicle to confirm a subscription is in place. Please refer to the privacy notice.

Will the sticker hold any personal information?

No, the sticker will not hold any personal information. It will hold a unique reference number (as per the current tag or old sticker), which can be cross referenced to the property address on the back office database, so that we know that the bin has been collected. Please refer to the privacy notice.

How often is garden waste collected?

We collect garden waste every two weeks, alternating weeks to your black bin collection. Your recycling and food waste is collected weekly.

Garden Waste collections will operate between 1st March and 10th December for the 2022 season. To check your collection day

What if I subscribe and my brown bin or subscription sticker is stolen?

Please check with your neighbours to make sure they have not taken your brown bin by mistake. If not, then report it to us as soon as possible so that we can investigate. The RFID sticker will alert us if the brown bin has been placed at the incorrect address and the sticker can be deactivated.

The stickers are made with a high level adhesive, which are weather proof. Once set, they are difficult to remove.

We would encourage you to mark your brown bin with your house number or address to make your bin clearly identifiable. It is the responsibility of the householder to ensure their brown bin/s are safely stored. In the event of a missing bin, there will be a charge of £30 for a replacement bin (i.e. the cost of the bin).

What if my sticker is damaged / missing?

The brown bin is your responsibility and you must ensure that your sticker remains clearly visible. However, if it is damaged/missing, please contact us and an officer will check your details on our system and, if necessary, make a site visit.

A resident has more than one bin and sticker.

If a resident has paid for more than one bin to be emptied, then each bin will receive a new RFID sticker.

What if I want to request a refund?

Please use the refund application form to request a refund on your 2022 payment clearly stating the reason for the refund. The form will guide you through the information we need to assess a refund request. Once assessed you will be notified of the outcome within 10 working days.