Alert Section

Public health burials

We can provide assistance in the burial / cremation of deceased persons when no other suitable arrangements can be made. The service is provided when there are no relatives or friends, or there is either no money or not enough money to pay for the service.  We will arrange a basic funeral with graveside service.  This can include the provision of a simple small floral tribute and notices in local newspapers.  However advice will be given on these and other arrangements.

Flintshire County Council then has the authority under the Public Heath (Control of Disease) Act, 1984 Section 46 (Appendix I) to recover any properties or money the deceased had in a bank / building society, pensions or money from an insurance policy to cover the funeral expenses incurred.

We have an annual contract with a local funeral director and it is therefore important that contact is made with us and the Coroner prior to finalising arrangements with another undertaker.

We will make every effort to meet the wishes of the deceased and / or relatives and friends.

View further information about bereavement (new window) on the GOV.UK website