What do I do if my circumstances change?
You must tell us straightaway about any change in your circumstances. It is your responsibility to let us know of any changes that may affect the amount of benefit you get.
If you do not tell us straight away we may pay you too much benefit, and you will have to pay back the overpayment. Even if you have told another agency, such as the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) or Pension Service, you must still tell us.
If the change means that you are entitled to more benefit and you do not tell us within one month of the change happening, you may lose benefit.
You may be prosecuted if you deliberately give us false information or fail to tell us of a change in your circumstances in order to get more benefit than you have a right to receive.
What type of changes must I tell you about?
Here are some examples of changes affecting you, your partner or a member of your household which you need to tell us about:
• Wages, pensions or benefits go up or down
• Any other change in your income
• Start or stop work
• Change jobs
• Start to get or no longer get any State Benefit
• Savings going up or down, unless they remain less than £6,000 (or less than £10,000 for pensioners aged 60+)
• If the amount of your savings goes over £16,000
• How many people live with you
• Any of your children leaving school
• If you stop receiving Child Benefit for a child
• Moving home (even if you move to another flat or room at the same address)
• Birth of a baby
• Going into hospital or a residential / nursing home
• A change in the amount of rent your landlord charges you
This is not a full list and if you are unsure whether a change in your circumstances will affect your benefit please contact us for further advice.
Remember - If in doubt, tell us about it!
How do I report a change?
Please complete the Change in Circumstances form. (Please note, all our forms are compatible with Internet Explorer and Safari, however you may experience issues when using other browsers).
If you are self employed and do not have an accountant please complete the following form to provide proof of your income. Self Employed Income form. (Please note, all our forms are compatible with Internet Explorer and Safari, however you may experience issues when using other browsers).
What happens next?
Once we have been told about the change we will let you know whether a new application form or any further proof is required.
If you have provided us with everything we need, we will recalculate your benefit and notify you of your new award.