Alert Section

Side Waste Enforcement

Enforcement for side waste presented is to resume in Flintshire in September 2021.

Enforcement began in March 2018 but was suspended in March 2020 due to the pandemic. However, in the last two years there has been a marked increase in side waste across the County, which is not sustainable. 
Strict targets, which must be met, have been set by the Welsh Government for all local authorities, to reduce waste and recycle and reuse more materials, 
In Flintshire we have no limit to the amount of recycling residents can place out for collection or take to one of our Recycling centres.

For more information about the above and links , please see FAQ below:


What is side waste?

Side waste is additional bags or items of waste placed out for collection not presented in the correct containers provided by the authority. A bin that is overflowing due to sacks piled up is also classed as side waste.
Collection crews will only collect refuse that is presented at the kerbside in a closed wheelie bin. Additional bags or items that are next to the wheelie bin or wheelie bins that are overflowing and the lid cannot fully close will not be collected. 

Why are you being strict over side waste?

Most of what is thrown out from the house can be put out for your weekly recycling collections.  In Flintshire we have made some great progress in reaching National recycling targets however in the last 2 years this has dipped and unfortunately we are sending more waste for disposal. 

We have to achieve the Welsh Governments target to recycle 70% of all materials we produce. This can only be achieved through everyone managing the materials they produce in their home and reducing, reusing, and recycling everything that is possible. 

Only place items in the black bin that cannot be recycled. 

We have information on what residents put in their black wheeled bins and there is, on average, still a large amount of recyclable materials being thrown out as waste.  We need to divert this recyclable material from the wheeled bin, and into your weekly recycling collections. To help encourage this, the Council has introduced a limit on the amount of waste that can be put out for collection. 

Why did you suspend enforcement? 

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, side waste enforcement has been suspended since March 2020.This was due to the health and safety risks posed to the enforcement team, who would be required to inspect the waste contained with the black bags for evidence in order to identify where the waste had come from.   Additionally, owing to the closure of the Household Recycling Centres (HRCs) during this period, the opportunity for residents to dispose of larger items or apply for more recycling containers to deal with their waste responsibly was not available 

How can I reduce my waste? 

• Re-using certain items, such as glass jars, bottles and biscuit tins.
• Home composting
• Repairing items
• Minimising waste by specifying goods with less packaging
• Use our weekly kerbside recycling scheme & food waste collection 
• Using a Household Recycling Centre.

Please visit for some tips on how to reduce your waste.

How can I get more recycling containers? 

There is no limit on the amount of recycling you can put out for your weekly recycling collections - if you need more recycling containers you can request this online or by calling 01352 701234.

These can be collected over the counter at Flintshire Connects Centres or Household Recycling Centres using the code provided. Please ensure all cardboard boxes are flattened and placed in sacks. Any boxes over 1 metre square (monitor size) need to be taken to a Household Recycling Centre for recycling. Polystyrene and plastic must be removed.

While we offer plastic bags for small household Batteries, they can also be placed in sandwich bags or sealed pots for collection. Larger batteries must be taken to a Household Recycling Centre.

What will happen if I place side waste out for collection? 

The Council will be monitoring collections and advising residents how they can recycle more, and reduce the amount of waste put out for disposal.  As a last resort where residents regularly put out side waste and have not taken advice on recycling, the Council may take enforcement action. 

First stage (Informal): a warning letter will be issued.                                   

At this stage a letter of advice will be issued and a leaflet on how to reduce waste and what can be separated for recycling. A notification sticker will also be placed on the bin. The crew will take the side waste on this occasion.

Second stage (Formal):  Section 46 Notice will be issued 

A formal notice of the intention to take action will be served on the property, this is known as a Section 46 Notice. At this stage an enforcement officer will be involved to help explain the service and issue advice. However this stage is recorded and monitored.                                                                                       
On this occasion the crew will not take the side waste, it will be left for the resident to sort materials into the recycling containers provided and dispose ready for next collection.

Third stage (Formal):  a Fixed Penalty Notice will be issued.                           

A fixed Penalty Notice (FPN) will be issued if stage one and two have been unsuccessful in effecting a change in resident’s behaviour and side waste is still presented. There will be 28 days in which to pay the FPN, charged at £75. If this remains unpaid then the Council can progress to prosecution. Any additional waste will again be left for the resident to deal with appropriately.Please note: we will not be returning for side waste reported as a missed collection following Stage 2 & 3. Addresses will be logged and monitored.

What can I do with my Excess Waste? 

Please sort your materials into the designated recycling containers provided by the Council.

Consider a Bulky Waste Collection

Take your waste to your nearest Household Recycling Centre (HRC) ensuring it is sorted and separated ready before your visit and placed in the correct containers at the site.   

Be mindful of your duty of care responsibility when arranging for disposal. If you are paying for someone to dispose of your waste on your behalf, use a permitted skip provider or suitable registered waste carrier ; you are still liable for enforcement action if your waste is found to have been fly tipped.

Do you offer any help for a household with a large family? 

If you feel that the size of your bin is not adequate for your family’s needs, you may be eligible for a larger bin.  The standard size black refuse bin is 180 litres, although larger families (6 or more in the household) can apply for the larger 240 litre bin, providing they are recycling all they can.