In Flintshire we are committed to promoting sustainable waste management practices, and an essential part of this is the collection and recycling of food waste.
This page provides valuable information for Flintshire residents to be able to participate in the food waste collection service, to know what can and cannot be included, and the benefits it brings to our environment and community.
Food Waste Collection Service
Flintshire County Council provides a convenient and easy way to use weekly food waste collection service for all households. Here's what you need to know:
Collections are weekly on the same day as your other recycling containers.
You can find your collection day online by using the “check my bin” link below, or by calling the Streetscene contact centre on 01352 701234 for your collection day.
Ensure your food waste is put out for collection on the correct day by 7am in the morning with your other recycling containers.
Check my bin day
Each household is provided with a food waste caddy for collecting and storing food waste.
- Smaller caddy for using indoors
- Larger outdoor caddy, for kerbside collection (lockable)
- Food Waste compostable caddy liners
You must use the compostable liners supplied which are specifically designed for your small food waste caddies; please do not use plastic bags or other non – compostable bags or biobags.
If you do not have a food waste caddy or need compostable liners, please apply online or visit your local council connects office or nearest Household Recycling Centre to collect.
Request recycling/waste items
What can be placed in the Food Waste Caddy?
The following items can be included in your food waste caddy:
- Fruit and vegetable peelings and scraps
- Meat and fish, including bones and shells
- Dairy products
- Bread, pasta, rice, and other grains
- Tea bags and coffee grounds
- Plate scrapings and leftovers
- Food that is no longer edible or has expired.
What to Avoid
To prevent problems at the food waste recycling facility, it’s important to ensure the following items are not included in your food waste caddy:
- Liquids, (or liquid fats) oils, or hot food (these break down the caddy liner)
- Packaging materials (remove and recycle packaging separately, or if the food is still sealed and is in date, consider donating to a food bank or community fridge)
- Plastic bags or other non-compostable types of liners
- Non-food items, such as napkins, wipes, packaging, or cutlery etc.
Benefits of Participating
By participating in the food waste collection service, you also contribute to several benefits for our community and the environment:
- It’s easy and collected weekly from your doorstep.
- Containers and compostable liners are free for Flintshire householders.
- It’s a more environmentally friendly way of waste food disposal.
- Minimises smells and odour from wasted food decomposing for two weeks in the black bin and reduces the risk of attracting pests.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions: Recycling food waste helps to reduce the release of methane, which is a potent greenhouse gas.
- Helps to achieve mandatory National recycling targets.
- Renewable energy generation: Flintshire’s food waste is converted to renewable energy through an anaerobic digestion process, contributing to a more sustainable energy supply.
Did you know?
Every bit of wasted food has an environmental impact - transport, fuel, water, energy - it all adds up. And while governments and businesses have an important part to play, 70% of food wasted in the UK is down to us in our own homes. One-quarter of this, a staggering 1.1 million tonnes, is wasted every year simply because we purchase, prepare, cook, or serve too much food.
Food banks & Community Fridges
If you do end up with excess food, please consider donating it to a local food bank or community fridge so that others in the community can make use of it. Please note only unused / unopened food can be donated to these places.
Join Us in Reducing Wasted Food!
By participating in the free food waste collection service, you play an active role in reducing waste, generating renewable energy, protecting the environment, and creating a more sustainable future for all. Together, we can make a significant impact.
For more information, collection schedules, or any queries, please visit our website or call Streetscene contact centre on 01352 701234.
Love Food Hate Waste
If you want to reduce food waste, and need more information and tips on how to save food, save money and save our planet, please see Love Food Hate Waste.
Food for thought – Alternative options
If you have left over food not suitable to donate to food banks, please consider composting it for use in your garden as a soil conditioner. For a simple ‘how to’ please see our informative guide: Easy Guide to Home Composting.