Alert Section

Privacy Notice Debt & Money Advice Service

Your Personal Data – What is it?
The managing of personal data is governed by the Data Protection Act 2018.  Personal data relates to a living individual who can be identified from that data.Identification can be the information alone or in conjunction with other information in the data controllers possession or likely to come in to that possession.

Who are we?
The Specialist Money Advice Service is the data controller.  This means it determines the purposes and means of processing personal data.

How do we process your personal data?
The Specialist Money Advice Service complies with its obligations under the Data Protection Act 2018 by keeping data up to date; by storing and destroying it securely; by not collecting or retaining excessive amounts of data; by protecting personal data from loss, misuse, unauthorised access and disclosure and by ensuring that appropriate measures are in place to safeguard personal data.

Your personal data will be processed by The Specialist Money Advice Service for the specific purpose of recording, sharing and assessing your application for advice, support and representation purposes.  Your data may also be used for research and statistical purposes, planning, development and delivery of services where it is appropriate to do so.

The processing of your personal data is necessary as part of the Specialist Money Advice Service to advocate on your behalf with Local Authorities, other individuals, agencies, services, creditors and other organisations where necessary. Your data may also be used to complete Referrals to 3rd Sector and Statutory organisations.

The Specialist Money Advice service will retain your data for 12 months following closure of your case.

Your rights and your personal data
Unless subject to an exemption under the Data Protection Act 2018, you have the following rights with respect to your personal data:-

  • The right to request a copy of your personal data that Money Advice Service holds about you
  • The right to request that Money Advice Service corrects any personal data if it is found to be inaccurate
  • The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary for Money Advice Service to hold such data
  • The right to request the data controller to provide the data subject with their personal data and where possible, to transmit that data directly to another data controller
  • The right, where there is a dispute in relation to the accuracy or processing of your personal data, to request a restriction is placed for further processing
  • The right to object to the processing of personal data unless contractually agreed
  • The right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioners Office

Complaint and Contact Details
If you feel that The Money Advice Service has mishandled your personal data at any time you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioners Office by visiting their website or by calling their helpline on 0303 123 1113

Any queries or complaints should be referred to the Advice and Homeless Team Manager, County Offices, Flint, CH6 5BD Tel: 01352 703777

The Data Protection officer for The Specialist Money Advice Service is Alun Kime and can be contacted at:
County Hall
Mold, CH7 6NG
Tel: 01352 702802 or by emailing