Alert Section

Skip permit

Licence summary

If you wish to place skips upon the adopted highway (the road plus any paved or grassed area) a permit is required.  The company placing the obstruction on the highway is responsible for obtaining a permit (for which there is a charge) from Flintshire County Council.

Why do I need a permit?

Permits are required to ensure the skip is placed so it does not endanger the safety of the highway users, block access to property or apparatus within the highway, reduce highway widths to an unacceptable extent or to restrict visibility at junctions, accesses and crossing points.  Skips placed on the highway should not obstruct or interfere with the drainage of the street or with any apparatus of the public utility companies.

If the skip is placed on private land a permit is not required.

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

  • The skip operator must be registered with this Authority and be a registered waste carrier.  If you are not already registered please visit the skip operator licence page.
  • Only when you are a registered skip operator can you then apply for skip permits. 
  • You must apply for a separate permit for every location.
  • Permission may be given subject to conditions described below.

Regulation summary - what terms and conditions apply to permits?

If it is not possible to avoid using the public highway, the obstruction should be placed in the road, rather than the footway.  Obstructions placed in, or partly on, the road are subject to certain conditions which ensure adequate marking and lighting which must be observed.  More information about these conditions is provided in the application forms below and any additional conditions will be stated on the permit itself.

View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence (Highways Act 1980)

Once licensed, the company must apply for a separate permit for every location.  All obstructions must comply with the terms and conditions (explained above) and any additional conditions stated on the permit itself.

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Once the request has been received by the relevant area co-coordinator the site will be inspected and if it is found to be suitable they will produce a permit which will be duly sent back to the company.

Each case will be considered on its merits and site specific conditions may be included to ensure safety.

We will only issue permits to applicants who hold the required public liability insurance of £5,000,000.  The applicant is therefore required to supply us with a copy of their renewal insurance details at least 5 working days before the expiry date.  Failing to provide valid public liability insurance documentation will result in permits not being issued to the company.

Companies must apply / renew their permit at least 2 working days (48 hours) before the required commencement date of the permit.

Fees & payment

Permits will be charged at a rate of £60 for the first week, and a further £25 for subsequent weeks.  Permits will be issued for a maximum of 3 months.  At the end of each calendar month an invoice will be sent to the company for all the permits issued during that month.

Please note: If this Authority's contractors are called out to lamp the site or make it safe, a charge will follow.  We may also recover any reasonable expenses to cover any damage which may be caused.

Application form

Application to place a skip on a public road or highway (PDF 27KB new window)

Application to extend a skip permit (Contact us: 01244 550213)

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (new window) or use the contact details below.

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Other redress

What if an obstruction is sited without a permit?

Anyone found to be operating without a permit, or in breach of the conditions of their permit, may face enforcement action under the Highways Act 1980.  Flintshire County Council has the authority to remove any obstruction which has been placed on the public highway without a permit and recharge the cost involved.

If you believe that someone does not have a permit, or is in breach of the conditions of their permit, please contact us.

Contact details

Streetscene, Alltami Depot, Mold Road, Alltami, Mold, Flintshire CH7 6LG

Telephone: 01352 701234


Trade associations

Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) (new window)

National Federation of Demolition Contractors (NFDC) (new window)

National Federation of Builders (NFB) (new window)

In partnership with EUGO