Alert Section

Skip operator licence

Licence summary

If you wish to place skips upon the adopted highway (the road plus any paved or grassed area) a permit is required from the Local Authority. 

Before you can apply for any permit you must first register your intent with us (skip operator registration) and supply proof that your company has current public liability insurance to the value of £5 million. 

Eligibility criteria

No provision in legislation.

The operator must hold public liability insurance of at least £5 million and be a registered waste carrier. Only when you are a licensed skip operator can you then apply for skip permits.  Once licensed, the company must apply for a separate permit for every location.

Regulation summary

View a summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window) (Highways Act 1980)

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation.

Once we have issued a licence your company can then apply for individual skip permits as required (as long as the insurance is up to date). 


None. Registration is free. 

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (new window) or use the contact details below.

Apply online

Application for a skip operator licence (new window)

Application to change a skip operator licence (new window)

Failed application redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Other redress

What if an obstruction is sited without a permit?

Anyone found to be operating without a permit, or in breach of the conditions of their permit, may face enforcement action under the Highways Act 1980.  Flintshire County Council has the authority to remove any obstruction which has been placed on the public highway without a permit and recharge the cost involved.

If you believe that someone does not have a permit, or is in breach of the conditions of their permit, please contact us.

Contact details

Streetscene, Alltami Depot, Mold Road, Alltami, Mold, Flintshire CH7 6LG

Telephone: 01352 701234


Trade associations

Builders Merchants Federation (BMF) (new window)

Construction Equipment Association (CEA) (new window)

Construction Plant-hire Association (CPA) (new window)

In partnership with EUGO