Alert Section

Paying for Residential Care Services

You will usually have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your stay in a residential or nursing home.  The amount you will have to pay will depend on whether your stay is temporary, short-term or permanent.

Please complete the online toolkit to find out if you are eligible to apply for financial assistance. 


What information will I have to provide?

If you tell us how much capital you have, what your income is and how much your care fees are, we can tell you approximately when you will be eligible for help.  We should also be able to tell you how much you have to pay. 

What if I own my own property?

If you are a temporary resident we will not include the value of the home you live in.  However, if you own any property or land other than the home you live in, the value will be taken into account. 

If you are a permanent resident we will usually ignore the value of the property for the first 12 weeks of permanent care.  If you own a second property its value will be taken into account from the date of admission.  

Can you disregard the value of my property?

If your stay is permanent, your former home will not be taken into account if it remains occupied by:

  • Your partner
  • A relative aged over 60
  • A relative aged under 60 who is incapacitated
  • A divorced or estranged partner with a dependent child
  • A child under 16 maintained by you. 

How much income do I keep?

If your stay is permanent, the minimum amount you will keep each week will be £29.50.

If your stay is temporary, allowances can be made for housing costs.  You will keep an additional £12.00 each week if you are single and £6.00 each week if you are a couple.  This is to cover any outgoings you may have.

Will I be entitled to any welfare benefits?

A Welfare Benefits Officer will visit you and complete a financial assistance claim form, they will also help you claim any benefits that you are entitled to.  It is important that you claim any benefits you are entitled to as we will include them in the charge we ask you to pay. 

If I have given any capital assets away, will I still be entitled to funding from the Council?

When undertaking or reviewing a financial assessment the Council may identify circumstances that suggest that a person may have deliberately deprived themselves of assets in order to reduce, or avoid, the financial contribution they are required to make towards the cost of the care and support.  Where the Council considers that a person has deprived themselves of income, they may treat them as possessing notional income for the purposes of the financial assessment.  It is the persons responsibility to prove to the Council that they have not deliberately deprived themselves of this asset.  

What if I disagree with the amount you ask me to pay?

You can ask us to review the assessment at any time.  If a mistake has been made or something has been overlooked we will correct it.  The outcome of the review will be explained to you in writing. 

What if the care home I choose costs more than the Council will pay?

If you choose a care home that charges more than the Council expects to pay, you will have to find somebody to pay the top up.  A top up is the difference between what the Council will pay and the cost of the home you choose.  Family and friends can pay it on your behalf or, if we are taking your property into account and you can afford to, you can pay it yourself.  The Council must be satisfied that the person paying the top up can afford to continue payment throughout the duration of your stay. 

How do I pay?

If you reside in a Local Authority Residential Home you will receive an invoice every month.  You can pay this by:

  • Setting up a standing order
  • Via our on-line payment system 
  • By debit card over the telephone on 01352 701318 

If you reside in a private Residential or Nursing Home you will pay your contribution direct to the home.  

Is there any funding available from the NHS?

NHS Continuing healthcare is care in a Nursing Home which is arranged and completely paid for by the Local Health Board.  For more information please visit the Continuing Healthcare web page.

If you are receiving care in a Nursing Home which is part funded by Social Services you will be entitled to claim the Funded Nursing Care Element (FNC).  Normally Social Services will pay this to the home on your behalf and claim the FNC back from the Local Health Board.  If you are in a Nursing Home and are paying the fees yourself then the Provider will need to claim the FNC on your behalf.