Alert Section

Paying for Non-Residential Care Services

You will usually have to pay a contribution towards the cost of your Non-Residential Care Services. 

Please complete the online toolkit to find out if you are eligible to apply for financial assistance. 

What information will I need to provide?

You will need to have accurate details of your savings and investments and your income and outgoings. 

How much capital can I have?

You will have to pay the full cost of your care if your capital is above £24,000.  This is called the “Capital Threshold”.  We do not take into account the value of your main and only home whilst you continue to live there.  If you own a property which you do not live in, the value will be taken into account in the financial assessment. 

Will I have to pay?

If your capital is less than £24,000 you will be eligible for funding towards the cost of your care.  You will need to complete a financial assessment as we will need to verify all the information given. 

Will I be entitled to any welfare benefits?

A Welfare Benefits Officer from the Council will visit you to complete the financial assistance claim form and help you claim any benefits that you may be entitled to.  It is important that you claim any benefits to which you are entitled as we include them in the charge we ask you to pay.  If you have a partner, to complete a full benefits check the Welfare Benefits Officer will need to see details of your partner’s income and capital. 

What is disability related expenditure?

The Welsh Assembly Government (WAG) have included in its revised Fairer Charging Guidance that service users receiving domiciliary care services should be left with a disposable income which is 45% above the basic income support levels. 

How do we calculate the charge?

We will look at your assessable income and capital, deduct an allowance that the Welsh Government sets (the minimum income guarantee) then deduct any allowable expenditure you have told us about.  The amount of income remaining will be the amount we will ask you to pay towards your care and support. 

The ‘minimum income guarantee’ is an allowance given in the assessment to cover the costs of everyday living. The allowance is taken from government guidance and will depend on your age, disability and family circumstances. 

What if I disagree with the amount you ask me to pay?

You can ask us to review the assessment at any time. If a mistake has been made or something has been overlooked we will correct it. The outcome of the review will be explained in writing to you.  

How do I pay?

We will send you or your representative a bill each month showing the amount you have to pay. You can pay by:

  • Setting up a standing order
  • Via our on-line payment system
  • Visiting a Connects office
  • By debit card over the telephone on 01352 701318.