Queensferry Campus Development
Flintshire County Council is undertaking extensive works at the Queensferry Learning Campus on a project that will improve the education and community facility provision in the area. The Council in partnership with Welsh Government, and Welsh Rugby Union (WRU) will be investing over 11 million into the campus with the aim to provide the following new and improved facilities on the campus:-
• Queensferry Community Primary School – extension and refurbishment
• Plas Derwen (Pupil Referral Unit) – specialist education new build facility
• Ty Calon (Community Hub) – new build
We are implementing plans to transform education for some of Flintshire’s most vulnerable young people and adults.
We have now completed design development and have commenced construction of the new buildings in November 2020.
This project is proudly funded by a number of stakeholders:
21st Century Schools and Colleges Programme
Community Facility Programme
Welsh Rugby Union
Flintshire County Council
• Buildings fit for 21st century learning – new hall and kitchen, welcoming new reception area and associated ground works;
• Remaining redundant buildings demolished;
• Changes to the school boundaries to improve security.
• Buildings fit for 21st century learning and improved facilities;
• Facilities to support delivery of a broader curriculum offer;
• Support academic and vocational outcomes for learners.
• Buildings fit for 21st century learning and improved community facilities;
• Support alternative and vocational learning for the community;
• Community sports facility.
Progress update December 2020
• Kier, Flintshire County Council and end users completed design development;
• Kier appointed to commence construction;
• Communication has gone out to local residents with an update of project progress;
• Grounds works commenced November 2020;
• Virtual ground breaking ceremony December 2020;
Link to view latest pictures
• Plas Derwen building handover in summer 2021;
• Ty Calon, Community Hub handover in autumn 2021;
• Queensferry Community Primary extension handover in autumn 2021;
• Ground works to be fully completed by spring 2022.
Milestone & Outline Dates. A summary of the key milestones for the project are as follows:-
Consultation for design development commenced September 2019
Feasibility and design commissioned November 2019
Construction procurement November 2019
Planning Approved September 2019
Welsh Government Final Business Case approved October 2019
Construction works commenced November 2020 – spring 2022
Facility opens for Plas Derwen Autumn 2021
Facility opens for Ty Calon Autumn 2021
Facility open for Queensferry Primary School Autumn 2021
Remaining grounds works Spring 2022
Construction completed Spring 2022
Client - Flintshire County Council
Constructors - Kier
Architects - EWA
Beneficiaries: Queensferry Primary School, Plas Derwen, Deeside Community Trust.
The Council is committed to supporting local business and creating jobs for local people. During the works, the principle contractor will use local suppliers, where possible for materials and products. Contractors will be encouraged to employ local workers and offer work experience to unemployed people.
STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) engagement will form an integral part of the project. The contractor and Council.
As part of the project the contractor will be expected to support local initiatives in the area. Further details on this will be provided as the project progresses.