Alert Section


We appreciate that the death of a loved one can be a difficult and emotional time.  With this in mind we aim to make the experience of registering a death as simple as possible.

All deaths must be registered with a Registrar of Births and Deaths in the area where the death occurred.  They should be registered within 5 days unless a coroner is investigating the circumstances of the death.

What do I need to do first?

A doctor issues a medical certificate of cause of death.  

If the death occurred in Flintshire and you have this certificate, you will need to contact the Register Office on 01352 703333 or email to make an appointment to register the death.  

If the death has been reported to the coroner, the Registrar will require an additional form from the coroner. The coroner will send this form directly to the Register Office.

Who can register a death?

  • Preferably a relative
  • Preferably a person present at the death
  • Someone who lives in the house where the person died

If there is no family, criteria maybe extended to:

  • A person arranging the funeral with the funeral director
  • A responsible person from the hospital or home where the person died

What do I need to bring?

  • The medical certificate of cause of death issued by a doctor (if there is coroner involvement, the coroner will send this form directly to the Registrar)
  • If they are available - birth, death, marriage or civil partnership certificates, which confirm the details to be entered into the death register
  • A method of payment for copies of the death certificate (i.e. cash, credit/debit card or cheque with a cheque guarantee card)

What happens when I see the Registrar?

The Registrar will ask you to confirm the following information: 

  • The date and place of death of the deceased
  • The full name that the deceased was using at the time of their death
  • Details of any other names they might have been known by
  • The date and place of birth of the deceased
  • The deceased's occupation and whether or not they were retired
  • The current home address and post code of the deceased
  • If the deceased was married/in a civil partnership or widowed, the full name and occupation of their spouse/civil partner
  • The full name and address and relationship to the deceased of the person providing the information. 

The following confidential information will also be required for government statistics: 

  • Was the deceased single, married, widowed, divorced, a civil partner, surviving civil partner or former civil partner?
  • Is their spouse or civil partner still alive?  If so, what is their date of birth?
  • How long did they stay in hospital or in another establishment prior to their death?
  • Was the deceased under 75?
  • What industry did they work in and what position did they hold?
  • Did they get a pension paid from government funds?  This includes the civil service, teachers, armed forces and war widows.  This does not include the state pension or pension credit
  • The deceased NHS number from their medical card (if available). 

Once the registration has been completed you will be asked to sign the entry.  It is important that the information recorded is as accurate as possible as the correction of errors discovered after the register has been signed may cause delay, inconvenience or distress.

The Registrar will then give you:

  • A green form to give to the funeral director.  If the death has been referred to the coroner and the funeral is a cremation, the equivalent form will be sent by the coroner to your funeral director.
  • A white BD8 form which is to be completed and sent by you to the Department of Work and Pension to stop state pension and other benefits being paid.  This also notifies the Department of Work and Pension that a surviving spouse / civil partners' circumstances have changed.

Do I have to pay a fee?

No. The service is free of charge. However, certified copies of the death entry (death certificate) can be purchased for a small fee.

You will need to produce a death certificate when you are administering the estate of the deceased (for example with banks, building societies and insurance companies). 

I want to register the death but I don't live in Flintshire

If the death occurred in Flintshire and you do not live in Flintshire, it is possible to give the details to any Registrar in England or Wales. This is known as 'registering by declaration'.  You will be obliged to attend a Register Office where the Registrar will record the information and forward the declaration to the Flintshire Register Office.  

You may also order death certificates. A charge is made for these and you will need to have a cheque and cheque guarantee card or postal order with you when you give the declaration. The Registrar will send the declaration and payment to the Flintshire Register Office.

Once the death has been registered at the Flintshire Register Office you will be sent:

  • Any certified copies of the death entry that you have ordered and paid for
  • A green form to give to the funeral director.  The equivalent form may be sent by the coroner (if a post mortem takes place)
  • A white BD8 form, which is to be completed by you and sent with any benefit or pension details to the Department of Work and Pensions. 

These arrangements also apply if you live in Flintshire but need to register a death occurring elsewhere in England or Wales but cannot travel to where the death occurred. If you are unsure where you need to register please call the Register Office on 01352 703333 or email for advice.

The coroner

When a death occurs in the following circumstances it will be referred to the coroner:

  • The death is sudden and unexpected
  • The cause of death is industrially related
  • The cause of death is unknown
  • There are suspicious circumstances surrounding the death
  • Death due to accident, violence, suicide, neglect or during / after operation
  • When a doctor has explained that he/she is unable to issue a medical certificate of cause of death or a doctor has not been in attendance during the deceased's last illness.

Deaths reported to the coroner

The coroner will investigate the circumstances of the death and do one of the following:

  • Issue a certificate to the Registrar allowing the death to be registered
  • Arrange a post mortem and when this is complete issue a cause of death certificate to the Registrar allowing the death to be registered
  • Arrange a post mortem and hold an Inquest.  The coroner will then arrange for the death to be registered after the Inquest has taken place.

 Bereavement Support

The experience of bereavement is one of the most severe traumas that people have to cope with.  It is a time of great personal distress for relatives and friends.  The following information is provided to support anyone in the unfortunate position of coping with a death.

  • Cruse Bereavement Care Cymru
    An organisation which offers free information and advice to anyone who has been affected by a death.  Cruse provides support and counselling, both in a one-to-one or group setting.
  • The Child Bereavement Charity
    The Child Bereavement Charity (CBC) provides specialised support, information and training to all those affected when a baby or child dies, or when a child is bereaved.
  • The Compassionate Friends (UK)
    The Compassionate Friends (UK) is a charitable organisation of bereaved parents and their families offering understanding, support and encouragement to others after the death of a child or children.  The Compassionate Friends (UK) also offers support, advice and information to other relatives, friends and professionals who are helping the family.
  • The Miscarriage Association
    Miscarriage can be a very distressing, frightening and lonely experience.  The Miscarriage Association provides support and information for anyone suffering the of pregnancy loss.

Child Deaths under 18

Losing a child is a deeply painful experience. We want to offer practical and compassionate support to grieving families.  

There is a range of support available including burial and cremation fees for children under 18 and £500 contribution towards the funeral and other related costs.

Further information about the support available to support grieving families can be found on the Welsh Government website.