Alert Section

What support will I get as a County Councillor?


Councillors are entitled to receive a salary in return for the commitment and contribution they make to the local community. 

All Councillors receive a basic salary. In 2021/22 it is £14,368. Councillors are also entitled to travel allowances. You can also claim your salary whilst taking family absence such as parental leave. Re-imbursement for the costs of care incurred whilst undertaking your duties as a Councillor can also be claimed.

Those Councillors who undertake additional responsibilities such as being a cabinet member, committee chair or leader of their political group will receive an additional payment. This is called a senior salary and is calculated based on the size of the Council. Councillors do not set their own salaries; the framework for Councillors' salaries is set by a body called the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales (IRPW).

Councillors also have access to the local government pension scheme.

Learning & Development

Every Council will run an orientation programme for new members to show you where and who everyone is, followed by an induction programme to help you understand your role, Council procedures and the practical skills you need. Ongoing training will be provided according to what you need.

Details on the induction programme for 2022 will be available shortly.


As a Councillor you will meet and work with a wide range of people from all different backgrounds looking to deliver better public services in Wales. A selection of the people you will meet could include: 

Residents / Voters

As part of your election campaign you will meet and talk to lots of residents to persuade them to vote for you. You will learn about what is important to them, what changes they want to see in the area and what support you can give them to achieve change.

Other Councillors

You will meet a wide range of Councillors in your role. There will be 67 other County Councillors representing Flintshire, all representing different political ideals. You will also meet County Councillors from other local authorities when representing the Council on outside and regional bodies. There will also be a need to work with Town and Community Councillors that fall within the area you represent.


To see changes made to services you will need to work with a wide range of officers of the Council who have responsibility for those service areas. These can include highways, waste and recycling, street lighting and planning.

Outside Organisations

In your role as Councillor you will work with a number of local organisations who are looking for assistance. You might look to raise awareness of these organisations and promote them amongst residents or act as a conduit between them and the Council and create links to improve local services. You may also work with a number of regional bodies.