Register to Vote
To vote in local or national elections, you must be on the electoral register (sometimes called the electoral roll). This is a list of the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote. If you are not on the register, you cannot vote.
You are not automatically registered to vote, even if you pay council tax, so it’s important to register.
Senedd Cymru Elections / Police and Crime Commissioner Elections - Thursday, 6 May 2021
The deadline for voter registration – 11:59pm on Monday 19 April 2021
- If you are already registered to vote at your property and have not moved since, you do not need to re-register to vote
- If you have moved home recently and have not registered to vote at your new address, you must do so by 11:59pm on Monday 19 April 2021
- Don’t forget that 16 and 17 year olds can now vote in Senedd Cymru elections for the first time.
- Register by Monday 19 April 2021 or you won’t be able to vote on Thursday 6 May 2021.
- It takes less three minutes to register online It helps to have your National Insurance number to hand, you can find it on your payslip, P60, or letters about tax, pensions and benefits.
How do I register?
You can register to vote quickly and easily online. You will need to give your date of birth and your National Insurance (NI) number. If you don't know your NI number, get in touch with HMRC
Each member of the household must now register individually, and provide their National Insurance number and date of birth to identify them.
Previously, one person in each household would register all the eligible residents at that address on the annual canvas form. Instead, now you will receive an annual 'household enquiry form' and must add anyone over the age of 16 who is resident in your home. Anyone not already registered at that address will be sent an invitation to register to vote.
Once you have registered, you will only need to re-register if you change address. However, you should complete and return the household enquiry form, which you will receive every year.
Voters can also register by contacting 01352 702300
Who can register?
You can register to vote if you are:
- aged 14 or over (but you cannot vote until you are 16 in Senedd elections and 18 in other elections) AND
- a British citizen , an Irish, Commonwealth. European Union citizen or foreign citizen who has leave to enter or remain in the UK, or who does not require such leave.
Under current legislation, marriage to a British citizen or a grant of permanent residence in the UK does not give you British citizenship, and does not give you the right to vote in UK elections.