Welfare Reform

Do You Need Advice and Support? 

Flintshire County Council’s Welfare Reform Team can help customers who are affected by the following Welfare Reform changes:  

  • Universal Credit
  • Under Occupancy (bedroom tax)
  • Local Housing Allowance restrictions
  • Benefit Cap

Our aim is to support, promote and help you to become financially independent. If you are finding it difficult to manage your rent payments or are struggling to budget for bills and would like to know more about your options we can help you in the following ways:

  • We can offer advice and support with budgeting. If you would like to arrange a face to face appointment please contact the Welfare Reform team on 01352 704848 or email wrrt@flintshire.gov.uk

  • Complete emergency type applications (depending upon individual circumstances).  For more information follow this link: Discretionary Assistance Fund 

  • Signpost for specialist advice or support which may include barriers to employment, childcare, debt advice, etc.

Welfare Support

  • Struggling to pay your rent?
  • Finding it hard to manage your money?
  • Affected by Welfare Reform changes? 
  • Need information about other help available?

The Welfare Reform Team may be able to help, contact us on 01352 704848 or email wrrt@flintshire.gov.uk

Welfare Support aims to help customers who need advice about managing money and paying bills on time.

Support is provided on an appointment based arrangement at local offices within Flintshire.

Identity Fraud  

Universal Credit

If you have made a recent application for Universal Credit and are awaiting your first payment, further information is available via the following links:

Tell us your experience of Universal Credit  

The Welsh Government wants to understand how Universal Credit is affecting households in Wales. Your views and experience of Universal Credit are important to us. 

Participation in the survey is voluntary and anonymous

  • Follow this link for more information about the survey

 You can also find information regarding benefits on the Citizens Advice benefits webpage

Find your nearest Citizen's Advice Office by following this link.

Healthy Start Vouchers

Healthy Start vouchers help low-income pregnant women and parents buy fruit, vegetables, milk and infant formula.  Every child deserves a healthy start in life, which is why Sustain is leading the call of 26 national health bodies and charities asking the Government to make sure no one misses out. More information is available via the following links:

Discretionary Housing Payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) are payments that may be made by the Council to people that are receiving Housing Benefit or Universal Credit (Housing Element), but who may still need further financial help with their housing costs.

For further information about Discretionary Housing Payments and to view the Policy please click on the following links: 

Discretionary Housing Payments Expenditure

In 2018/2019 Flintshire County Council received £344.391 from the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) to administer Discretionary Housing Payments. The information below shows how the funding was spent;


Benefit Cap                                                   29,660

Social Size Criteria                                       96,476

LHA Restriction                                            91,133

Combination                                                 61,318

No impact                                                     65,802 

Total                                                           344, 389

Flintshire County Council has been granted £286,264 funding from the Department of Work & Pensions (DWP) to administer Discretionary Housing Payments in 2019/20.

Benefit Changes

Mixed Age Couples

For more information regarding the changes that effected mixed aged couples from 15 May 2019 please follow this link.

If you feel that you, or someone you know would benefit from our support then please contact the team on 01352 704848 or email: wrrt@flintshire.gov.uk

Please note: Permission must be given from the person needing support for a referral to be made to the Team.