NEWCES – North East Wales Community Equipment Service
Members of Flintshire County Council’s Social and Health Care Overview and Scrutiny Committee recently visited the North East Wales Community Equipment Service.
They were given a tour of the facility based in Hawarden which provides a Community Equipment Service for North East Wales.
Members of the Committee were very impressed with the service and all that it has achieved. The service is jointly funded by three partners, Wrexham County Borough Council, Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board and Flintshire County Council. Flintshire is the host authority and lead partner.
With a fleet of seven vehicles, the service delivers and installs over 30,000 items of equipment a year across North East Wales and re-uses 90% of the equipment that is returned. The remaining 10% is recycled.
Flintshire County Council’s Cabinet Member for Social Services, Councillor Christine Jones, has nothing but praise for the service and said:
“The provision of community equipment is essential for promoting the independence of people with disabilities of all ages. This allows individuals to be able to cope independently without the need for other services and greatly increases hospital discharge rates and helps prevent unnecessary hospital stays.
“Making sure that the right equipment is clean and in good repair and is in the right place is challenging logistically. The team works really hard to provide an excellent service and they are to be commended for their dedication and hard work.”
NEWCES is recognised as market leader in Wales. The service prides itself on regional working and is currently working with BCUHB North West Wales in their community equipment service. They are also developing a new approach to speed up the core functions by integrating the use of advanced portable devices (hand held devices) into the community across North East Wales, ensuing that the service is greener, modern and efficient for the future.
Members of the scrutiny committee and Flintshire officers with NEWCES