Alert Section

Community Asset Transfer (CAT)

This guide is for individuals or groups who want to lease buildings or land from the County Council for community benefit. This is known as Community Asset Transfer (CAT) and is defined more fully as follows:

“the leasehold transfer of a Flintshire County Council asset to an organisation with a social purpose and who plan to use the asset for the benefit to the local community”.

The guide explains the Councils policy on Community Asset Transfer, how interested individuals or groups can apply, how applications will be processed and how support can be accessed.

Much of this guide is intended to encourage communities to come forward with ideas and then develop these ideas into more detailed plans.  Please note the first stage in this process is a very simple expression of interest.  This is intended to encourage anyone with a good idea to come forward.  Based on this expression of interest, support and information will be provided to help develop this idea.  Without your ideas it is impossible for organisations who may be in a position to offer support packages and provide the relevant information that may assist the further growth and development of your idea.

The Council has buildings and land that are used for a variety of community and public purposes.   Through the transfer of assets to community management, Flintshire County Council aims to:

  • Increase the range and number of publicly owned assets managed by the community, providing an increasing asset base for local communities to shape services and which meet their needs, and;
  • Generate new sources of income to sustain local community services and maintain local assets.

The Council is committed to working with community groups and local people to ensure that asset transfer to the local communities of Flintshire is successful and sustainable in the long-term.

Further details are available from Flintshire Local Voluntary Council (FLVC). You can contact FLVC by telephone on 01352 744000 or by email at

You can now apply online using the following link:   Expression of Interest Form    

Privacy Notice