Mobility and Transport
Emissions from our Council operated fleet remain a consistent source of carbon emissions. We know that technologies around electricity and hydrogen fuelled vehicles is improving and we need to ensure that we do not fall behind in this area.
These are some of the ongoing works and projects we have completed:-
- The Council’s fleet meet the Euro 6 standard and therefore have the lowest emissions possible for diesel vehicles.
- Delivering safer routes in the community schemes around schools, encouraging children with their families to walk and cycle to school, trying to tackle air pollution around schools and get people active and healthy.
- Developing community based transport options when commercial bus services have been withdrawn.
- Developing and delivering active travel routes across the County.
- Installation of publically accessible charging points across the County.
- Review of our current fleet contract to fulfil our transition to ultra-low emission vehicles (ULEV).
- Selected to trial two electric recycling vehicles from early 2022.
- Two electric buses introduced to the transport fleet.
- Complete the review of the current fleet contract to fulfil transition to ultra-low emission vehicles (ULEV).
- Review fleet policy with consideration for charging of vehicles.
- Learning from accelerated change due to COVID-19, review and implement policies and initiatives that support the reduction of carbon emissions from business mileage. Continue to implement and develop agile working practices to reduce employee journeys and utilise virtual meetings.
- Trial two electric recycling vehicles from early 2022.
- Introducing two electric buses to serve local travel arrangement in Buckley and the Deeside Industrial Park & Ride facility on Zone 2.
- Ensure vehicle charging points are available at key areas across the county - rural and urban.
- Transition fleet vehicles to electric and alternative fuels (hydrogen, etc)
- Facilitate a car sharing forum for employees – once measures post-COVID-19 are reviewed
- Actively promote the existing employee cycle to work scheme to increase participation and review cycle storage facilities at principle work place.
- Promote and launch a managed salary sacrifice scheme for low and ultra-low emission vehicles.