Alert Section

Temporary market, occasional sale or car boot sale authorisation

Licence summary 

To hold a temporary market, occasional sale or car boot sale you need authorisation for the area where the sale will be held.

Eligibility criteria 

Any one wishing to organise and hold a car boot sale, market or occasional fair etc needs to submit an application form at least 28 days prior to the date of the event to notify the Council the intention to hold the event and to seek permission to do so. 

In addition, all other relevant permissions need to be in place, including, but not limited to, permission of the land owner where the event is to be held, planning consent, current fire certificates, highways authority.

Failure to obtain such permission could result in the failure of licences to be issued. 

You must pay the appropriate fee (details below).

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window)

Application evaluation process 

Applicants must give Flintshire County council at least 28 days notice of their intention to hold a car boot sale (or to permit their land to be used for a car boot sale), unless the proceeds of the car boot sale are to be applied solely or principally for charitable, social, sporting or political purposes.

Applications must be made in writing (including by electronic means) and include the applicant's name and address, where and when they desire to trade and the name and address of the occupier of that site, if he is not the applicant.

Will tacit consent apply? 

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


Fee payable is £87.14 for commercial type events and £8.50 for Charitable Organisations.

Apply online

Car Boot Sale - Application Form

Occasional Fair - Market App Form

Failed application redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Contact details

Flintshire County Council,
Markets Section
County Hall,


Trade associations 


In partnership with EUGO