Alert Section

Riding establishment licence

Licence summary 

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction) you need a licence from the local authority.

Eligibility criteria 

Applicants must be over 18 years of age. They must have not been disqualified:

  • from keeping a riding establishment
  • from keeping a pet shop under the Pet Animals Act 1951
  • from having custody of animals under the Protection of Animals (Amendment) Act 1954
  • from keeping boarding establishments for animals under the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963 under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 from keeping or owning animals, being able to influence how animals are kept, dealing animals or transporting or being involved in the transporting of animals

Applicants must pay any required fee and comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

Regulation summary 

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window) (Riding Establishments Act 1964)

Application evaluation process 

Before deciding an application the local authority must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the conditions of the premises and any horses.

The local authority will also take into account whether the applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. They must also be satisfied of the following:

  • that consideration will be given to the condition of the horses and that they will be maintained in good health, kept physically fit and where the horse is to be ridden or used during riding instruction, be suitable for that purpose
  • that the animals feet will be trimmed properly and that shoes are fitted properly and are in good condition
  • that there will be suitable accommodation for the horses
  • that for horses maintained on grass there is suitable pasture, shelter and water and that supplementary feed will be provided as and when needed
  • that horses will be provided with suitable food, drink and bedding materials and will be exercised, groomed, rested and visited at suitable intervals
  • that precautions will be taken to reduce the spread of contagious or infectious diseases and that veterinary first aid equipment and medicines will be provided and maintained
  • that appropriate procedures are in place to protect and remove the horses in the case of a fire and that as part of this the name, address and telephone number of the licence holder is displayed outside the premises and fire instructions are displayed
  • that storage facilities for forage, bedding, stable equipment and saddlery are provided

In addition to any other conditions a riding establishment licence must be subject to the following conditions:

  • that any horse inspected by an authorised officer and found to need veterinary attention will not be returned to work until the licence holder has obtained a veterinary certificate confirming the horse is fit for work
  • that a horse will not be let out for hire or for use in instruction without the supervision of a responsible person aged 16 years or older, unless the licence holder is satisfied the rider doesn't require supervision
  • that the business will not be left in the charge of someone under 16 years of age
  • that the licence holder holds indemnity insurance
  • that the licence holder keeps a register of all horses in their possession that are three years old or younger and that
  • the register is available for inspection at all reasonable times

Will tacit consent apply? 

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (new window) or use the contact details below.

Fees and payment

The fee(s) for this application are as follows: £205.56*

* Plus vet’s fees – preparatory work, inspection, travelling and report preparation per hour. 

In addition to the fee paid to the Licensing Authority (£65) you will also have to pay the fee of the authorised veterinary surgeon appointed by the Licensing Authority to inspect your premises. The vet's fee is not usually determined until after the inspection. Please submit the Licensing Authority fee with your application. We will invoice you for the Vet's fee later.

Apply online 

Application for a licence to operate a riding establishment (new window)

Application to change a riding establishment licence (new window)

Failed application redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Contact details

Licensing Section, Public Protection, Flintshire County Council, County Hall, Mold, CH7 6NF

Telephone: 01352 703030

Trade associations 

Association of British Riding Schools (ABRS) (new window)

British Dressage (new window)

British Equestrian Federation (BEF) (new window)

British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA) (new window)

In partnership with EUGO