Alert Section

Pet shop license

Licence summary

To run a business selling pet animals you need a licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Eligibility criteria 

Applicants for a pet shop licence must not be disqualified from keeping a pet shop.

A fee, determined by the Local Authority, will be payable on application.

Regulation summary 

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window) (Pet Animals Act 1951)

Application evaluation process 

Local authorities must have regard to the following when considering an application for a pet shop licence:

  • that animals will be kept in suitable accommodation, for example in regards to temperature, size, lighting, ventilation and cleanliness

  • adequate food and drink will be provided to the animals and they will be visited at suitable intervals

  • that any mammalian animals will not be sold too young

  • that steps are taken to prevent disease spreading among the animals

  • that adequate fire and emergency provisions are in place

Conditions can be attached to a licence to ensure that the above are complied with.

Will tacit consent apply? 

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.

Fees and payment

The fee(s) for this application are as follows: £318.66

Apply online 

Apply to run a pet shop (new window)

Tell us about a change to your existing pet shop (new window)

Failed application redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Any person who is refused a licence can appeal to the Magistrates court.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

Any licence holder who objects to a condition attached to a licence may appeal to the local Magistrates court.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Contact details

Licensing Section, Public Protection, Flintshire County Council, County Hall, Mold, CH7 6NF

Telephone: 01352 703030


Trade associations

Pet Care Trust (PCT) (new window)

In partnership with EUGO