Alert Section

Consumer credit licence

Under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 most businesses that offer credit or lend money to consumers, or allow customers time to pay for goods and services, must be licensed with the Consumer Credit Licensing Bureau at the Office of Fair Trading.

The following types of business must be licensed with the Office of Fair Trading:

  • Consumer credit
  • Consumer hire
  • Debit adjusting and debt counselling
  • Debt collecting
  • Credit reference agencies
  • Canvassing credit off trade premises

For more information on credit licences, to find out whether your business needs to be licensed and to apply for or renew a credit licence please visit the the Financial Conduct Office

Flintshire Trading Standards Service will advise any Flintshire based business on all aspects of the consumer Credit Act and the credit advertising regulations. If you require advice about credit and your business please contact us.

Contact us

Citizens Advice (new window)

Tel: 01352 703181 (Business Enquiries and other matters)

Fax: 01352 703192

Write to: Trading Standards Service, Environment Directorate, County Hall, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 6NF


Visit: Entrance 3, County Hall, Mold

Our office hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday