Alert Section

Camping site licence

Licence summary 

If you allow your land to be used as a camping site by the public for more than 42 days consecutively - or 60 days in a year - you require a licence from your local authority.

Conditions may be attached to a licence.

There are exceptions for organisations that hold camping exemption certificates.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window)

Application evaluation process 

When an application is made it will be deemed to be made unconditionally unless the local authority give notice that the application is refused or conditions are attached.

Will tacit consent apply?

Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period.


No fee is required for this application.

Apply online

Application to licence a camp site (new window)

Application to change a camp site licence (new window)

Failed application redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

If an applicant is refused a licence they may appeal to their local Magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress 

Please contact your Local Authority in the first instance.

A licence holder may appeal against a condition attached to a licence to their local Magistrates' court.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Contact details

Environmental Control, Flintshire County Council, County Hall, Mold, CH7 6NF

Telephone: 01352 703440

Trade associations 

Association of Caravan and Camping Exempted Organisations (ACCEO) (new window)

British Holiday & Home Parks Association (BH&HPA) (new window)

British Resorts and Destinations Association (new window)

Caravan Industry Training (CITO) (new window)

Federation of Tour Operators (FTO) (new window)

Group Travel Organisers Association (GTOA) (new window)

Hotel Marketing Association (new window)

National Caravan Council (NCC) (new window)

In partnership with EUGO