Home > Resident > Roads, Streets and Travel > Bus pass (over 60's or disabled)

Bus pass (over 60's or disabled)

Concessionary Bus Pass Scheme

The All Wales Concessionary Bus Pass Scheme, funded by the Welsh Government and Local Authorities, entitles people over 60 and people with certain disabilities who are resident in Wales to travel free on valid local bus services throughout Wales

You may also use your pass for free travel on cross border journeys that go into England, provided that your journey is unbroken and starts or finishes in Wales.

Am I entitled to a free concessionary travel pass?

You are entitled to a free concessionary travel pass if you are a permanent Flintshire resident AND if you are:

  • Aged 60 or over
  • Registered blind or partially sighted
  • Registered profoundly or severely deaf
  • Without speech
  • Without arms or have long term loss of the use of both arms
  • Disabled or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long term adverse impact on your ability to walk
  • In receipt of Disability Living Allowance (with HIGHER rate mobility content)
  • In receipt of Personal Independance Payment (PIP) at:
    8 Points or more - Communication and verbal.
    12 Points or more - Planning and following a journey.
    8 Points or more - Moving around.
  • In receipt of a war pensioner\'s mobility supplement
  • Learning disabled, that is, with a state of arrested or incomplete development of mind that includes significant impairment of intelligence and social functioning
  • Unable to be granted, if an application was made, a licence to drive a motor vehicle under Part III of the Road Traffic Act 1988, pursuant to section 92 of the Act, (physical fitness) otherwise than on the ground of persist misuse of drugs or alcohol i.e. had a driving licence refused on medical grounds.

The above list is not exhaustive. Applications will be considered from persons not included in the above list, subject to medical advice or independent medical evidence being provided or sought as appropriate. There may be a charge for this service which will be payable by the applicant.

How do I apply?

To apply for your free bus pass please complete an application form in full and return it in one of the following ways: -

You will need to supply the following documentation with your application: -

  • A completed application form.
  • A recent full face colour passport size photograph with your name PRINTED on the back
  • Proof of permanent residence in Flintshire such as a utility bill (gas/electric); Council Tax bill; evidence of rent payments; current driving licence; Benefits documents.
  • Proof of entitlement such as your birth certificate, passport or driving licence to show your age or letter of benefit, or other official papers holding your date of birth

Photocopies are acceptable.

If you are disabled you will need to supply evidence of your disability. 

Clarification on proof of eligibility requirements for disabled persons and companions 

How much does a pass cost?

Your bus pass is issued free of charge.*

*The Council will not be liable for any expenses incurred by the applicant in obtaining and submitting documentation, including photographic and/or medical evidence if necessary, for the purpose of applying for a pass.

Who issues the pass?

The pass is issued by Flintshire County Council upon completion of the appropriate application procedure and can be used for as long as the pass holder meets the eligibility criteria.

How do I renew my pass?

Bus passes do not expire so do not need renewing. 

What happens next?

We aim to process passes as quickly as possible and, if all the evidence supplied is satisfactory (i.e. the correct form of proof, an appropriate photograph etc.), you should receive your pass within 10 working days.

If there are any problems with your application, you will be contacted either by telephone or in writing within 10 working days.

All passes are sent directly to the address provided on the application form by second class post, so please allow extra time for postage.

Please note that owing to the high volume of applications we receive, there may be circumstances beyond our control when delivery times may vary from these standards.

What else do I need to know?

The Flintshire Concessionary Bus Passes document provides full terms and conditions of use for bus passes, as well as further guidance on the application process.

If you forget your bus pass when making a journey, you will need to pay the appropraite fare, which is non-refundable.