Theatr Clwyd Board Members
Flintshire County Council’s Cabinet will be asked to approve the appointment of
the new Theatr Clwyd Board when it meets later this month.
Over the past three years the Council has supported Theatr Clwyd to make
significant changes to revise its business model and plan and improve its
· Appointing a new Artistic Director and Executive Director;
· Implementing a new and more modern workforce structure;
· Agreeing with Trade Unions a revised House Agreement covering workforce terms
· A feasibility study for a full renovation of the theatre.
This has enabled a number of significant achievements:
· The Council has reduced the base funding by £350,000 (35%) from £1m,
following an earlier 5% reduction.
· The theatre has increased the number of productions by cutting and sharing
· Connections with local community are closer with a range of community
projects and youth work.
· Income from ticket and secondary sales has increased.
· The quality of productions has been recognised by winning four prizes at the
Welsh Theatre Awards.
· The range of arts and creative activity will increase with the planned
integration of both the Arts Development and Music Service.
The next step is to refresh the Board and update its terms of reference. The
new Board will be a combination of seven County Councillors and six co-opted
members with the skills and expertise needed to take the theatre on the next
phase of its development. The Chief Executive also serves on the Board.
The Leader of Flintshire County Council, Councillor Aaron Shotton, said:
“This is an exciting period for Theatr Clwyd and the new Board members with
bring with them particular skills to enable the theatre to progress and develop
to become a vital and vibrant arts centre at the heart of our community.”
The proposed elected members of the Council are:
· Cllr Derek Butler (Cabinet Member Economic Development)
· Cllr Chris Bithell (Existing Board Member)
· Cllr David Evans (Existing Board Member)
· Cllr Glyn Banks (Existing Board Member)
· Cllr David Mackie (Existing Board Member)
· Cllr Kevin Hughes (New Board Member)
· Cllr Jean Davies (New Board Member)
The proposed co-opted members are:
New member - Helen Watson, Partner and Head of Employment Law at
Aaron and Partners
Alan Watkin (Existing Board Member)
David Williams (Existing Board Member)
Nicolette Cullen (New Board Member) – Managing Director of her own
Company C2K Development Ltd
Rachael Wheatley (New Board Member) –owner of Gunsmoke Communications
Tim Manson (New Board Member) – 40 years’ experience in the arts.