- Pasta, rice & cereal
- Food past its use-by date
- Mouldy food & leftovers
- Fish / meat bones and skin
- Tea bags & coffee grounds
- Eggs (& shells), cheese & yoghurt
- Fruit & vegetable peelings
- Stale bread, cakes & confectionery
- Pet food
- Solid fat
Not accepted: No liquids or oils. Oil banks are available at your local tip. Do not pour fat/oil down the drain it can clog drains/sewers. Packaging of any kind, even if it is biodegradable.
We will not empty caddies if plastic bags or biobags not issued by us are used to line them as this can contaminate the load. Biobags are expensive, please fill them before tying them up. If you run out use newspaper to line the caddies. Request more biobags(new window)
Brown bin (garden waste)
- Grass cuttings
- Hedge clippings
- Twigs and small branches
- Pot plants
Not accepted: Windfalls or kitchen waste (put these in your food waste caddy). Animal waste, bedding or feathers. Soil, stones or rubble. Plastic bags, paper or cardboard.
Blue box (mixed glass)
- Glass bottles and jars (without lids and rinsed free of food)
Not accepted: Pyrex , drinking glasses, light bulbs, broken glass, plate glass (window panes), tins & cans, plastic bottles.
Blue bag (paper & cardboard)
- Office type paper
- Letters / junk mail (with addresses and plastic windows removed)
- Shredded paper (bagged separately)
- Directories / Yellow Pages
- Magazines / brochures
- Boxes (flattened)
- Greeting cards (tape / plastic / glitter removed)
- Egg boxes
Not accepted: drinks cartons / Tetra pak, Pringles and Twiglet containers, greeting cards with glitter or other attachments, photographs. foil wrapping paper, clingfilm etc.
White sack (metal tins & cans)
- Drinks cans
- Food tins
- Pet food cans
- Aerosols (with plastic lids and buttons removed)
- Metal jar lids
- Biscuit / sweet tins etc
Not accepted: cooking foil / cling film, food trays / take away containers / pie trays, paint tins etc.
White sack (plastic bottles)
Accepted: Plastic bottles without lids, rinsed free of food and squashed - e.g:
- Shower gel
- Washing up liquid
- Household cleaners etc
Not accepted: bottle tops, margarine tubs, yoghurt pots / noodle pots, food trays / take away containers, polystyrene, plant pots, clingfilm etc.
There are many types of plastic containers available, however we have to stipulate that only plastic bottles can be collected, (without caps) as the re-processors in this country cannot accept these because they contaminate the recycling process.
Black bin (rubbish)
- Non recyclable rubbish for landfill
- To avoid rubbish ending up in landfill please ensure you recycle as much as possible.
- Garden waste
- Food waste
- DIY items – paint, paint tins, stones, gravel, rubble, builders’ waste, tiles
- Clinical waste - medical waste, needles
- Dead pets
- Cooking oil
- Engine oil
- Electrical items
- Business waste
- Hazardous waste (solvents, chemicals, paint, engine oil, batteries, fluorescent tubes and light bulbs containing mercury, poisons, baits)