It is often difficult for consumers to know whether they are dealing with reputable traders or one of the small proportion of rogue cowboy traders.
Flintshire County Council have introduced the Buy With Confidence Scheme as part of a nationally recognised approved trader scheme to improve consumer confidence in the motor trade when buying cars and ensure that motor trade businesses comply with trading standards legislation.
How will I know which businesses are members of the scheme?
Members of the scheme will be able to display the scheme logo on business premises, documentation and adverts.
What does membership of the scheme mean?
Members of the scheme will:
- Deal with consumers fairly, courteously and in accordance with good business practice.
- Comply with the spirit and the letter of the law.
- Have a customer complaints procedure.
- Ensure that all descriptions applied to vehicles are legal, honest and truthful.
- Not restrict consumer rights.
What should I do if things go wrong?
- Draw your complaint to the attention of the business' complaints officer.
- Make the complaint in writing.
If unresolved after two weeks then you will be given a written explanation by the business and you can refer the complaint to Trading Standards.
What is the role of the Trading Standards Service?
The Trading Standards Service will:
- Assess the suitability of businesses participating in the scheme.
- Regularly inspect and audit member businesses to ensure they comply with the terms and conditions of the scheme.
- Take appropriate action if any business fails to comply with the terms and conditions of the scheme.
- Assist with complaints.
How do I apply to become a member of the scheme?
Please view the Buy with Confidence Scheme Terms and Conditions (new window)
Before making an application (new window)
How can I find out more about the scheme?
If you have any queries regarding any aspect of this scheme then please visit the Buy with Confidence website (new window)
or contact us:
Tel: 08454 04 05 06 (consumer advice)
Tel: 01352 703181 (business enquiries and other matters)
Fax: 01352 703192
Write to: Trading Standards Service, Environment Directorate, County Hall, Mold, Flintshire, CH7 6NF
Visit: Entrance 3, County Hall, Mold
Our office hours are 8.30am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday