Home > Business > Licences and permits > Tattooists, piercing and electrolysis registration

Tattooists, piercing and electrolysis registration

Licence summary

If you offer tattooing, electrolysis, acupuncture or skin/body piercing you must be registered with your local county council.

If you work from premises, they must also be registered.

Once registered, you will be issued with a certificate of registration

Eligibility criteria

You must provide specific information including details of your premises and any previous convictions for practicing without a licence in this field.

A fee will be charged.

Regulation summary

A summary of the regulation relating to this licence (new window) Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982

Application evaluation process

No provision in legislation

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that the authority must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from the local authority within a reasonable period, please contact it. You can do this online if you applied through the UK Welcomes service (new window) or use the contact details below.

Fees and payment

The following fee(s) will apply from 1st April 2013: £105 

Apply for it

It is not currently possible to apply online for this licence. Please contact us to discuss your application for:

Application for a licence to carry out acupuncture, tattooing, piercing and/or electrolysis

Application to change a tattooists, piercing and electrolysis licence

Failed application 

Please contact your Local County Council in the first instance.

Licence holder redress

Please contact your Local County Council in the first instance.

If a registration is suspended or cancelled the registration holder may appeal to the magistrates court.

Consumer complaint 

We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, Citizens Advice (new window) will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the UK European Consumer Centre (new window).

Other redress 

Please contact your Local County Council in the first instance.

Contact details

Health and Safety Section, Flintshire County Council, County Hall, Mold, CH7 6NF

Telephone: 01352 703381

Trade associations


In partnership with EUGO

Related Pages

Useful Documents