Resident > Roads and Travel > Public rights of way

Public rights of way

Maps and routes

Explore the Public Rights of Way Network on our interactive map (new window)|

Ordnance Survey 'Explorer' Maps: The County is covered by maps 256 "Wrexham & Llangollen", 265 "Clwydian Range" and 266 "Wirral & Chester" which are at a scale of 1:25,000. Explorer maps are quite up to date and show rights of way and any changes that have taken place very clearly. They also show field boundaries, so it is easy to see where the paths run. Visit the Ordnance Survey website (new window)|

Temporary closures

Occasionally it is necessary to close public rights of way on a temporary basis for public safety reasons; for instance to enable excavations or maintenance to take place or because construction is taking place next to them. Below is a list of temporary closures on the public rights of way network:

Report a problem

Report: dogs and fouling, flooding and drainage, grass cutting, shrub maintenance and weed control, street cleansing, street lighting

Email: streetscene@flintshire.gov.uk / Tel: 01352 701234

For any other problem relating to a public right of way whether it is an obstruction, aggressive animals, missing signposts, damaged or out of repair stiles or damaged or unsatisfactory surface then please contact the Rights of Way Section.

Email: publicrightsofway@flintshire.gov.uk / Tel: 01352 704612

It would be helpful if you could provide as much information as possible about the nature and location of the problem.

Rights of way registers

View the Public Rights of Way - Section 31(6) Register  / Section 53B Register|

Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980 (the 1980 Act) enables any landowner to deposit maps, statements and statutory declarations showing which ways, if any, that they acknowledge as public rights of way over land in their ownership. Under section 31A of the 1980 Act (as amended), it is a requirement for every local authority to set up and maintain a register containing information on those maps and statements deposited and declarations lodged.  

Under section 53 of and schedule 14 to the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (the 1981 Act) anyone may apply to the County Council, as surveying authority, to modify the definitive map and statement of public rights of way by:

  • adding ways that have been unrecorded;
  • altering the status of ways already recorded;
  • deleting ways that have been included in error; or
  • making any other amendments to the map and statement. 

Section 53B of the 1981 Act (as amended) requires every surveying authority to establish and maintain a register of these applications, including details such as path numbers, the location and the progress with the application.

Further information

Rights of way - Frequently asked questions (PDF 43KB new window)|

A to Z of Services