100th birthday celebrations
Margaret Olwen Ward (neé Bundred) celebrated her 100th birthday on 30 June at
Croes Atti Residential Home in Flint.
Olwen was the second child of William and Annie Bundred. She was born in” Ivy
Bank” on Gadlys Lane, Bagillt and had an older brother, John, a younger
brother, Ted and an older half sister, Gwen. The family moved initially to
“Bryn Merllyn” and subsequently to “Brynffynnon”, where she grew up.
After attending Holywell Grammar School where her musical talents for singing
and as a violinist developed, Olwen trained as a nurse in Liverpool then
returned home to support her parents. She subsequently returned to nursing as a
nursing auxiliary in Flint Cottage Hospital when her family were older.
Olwen married Charles Ward, an electrician, and son of the Chief Engineer at
Bettisfield Colliery, in 1941 and their first child, Philip, was born the
following year. Two daughters, Alison (1946) and Ruth (1953) completed the
The family moved to “Bryn Gwyn”, Charles’ family home, also in Bagillt, in 1953
and remained there until Charles’ death in 2013 and her subsequent move to
Olwen has been a staunch supporter of the Church all her life. Initially she
attended the Welsh Methodist Church where her father was an Elder but she later
moved to the Anglican Church in Wales. Her beliefs fostered a very strong
community spirit which reflected that of her Mother who was a founder of the
Child Care Clinic in Bagillt in the 1940’s. Olwen continued as an active worker
in the clinic through the 1950’s. Olwen has always been a very direct person
but did not hesitate to respond to the needs of any individual in the
community. She was also very active in the Mothers Union, as a member of the
Parochial Church Council and for many years her organizational ability was
harnessed as diocesan organiser of the Womens’ World Day of Prayer.
The family celebrated her birthday with her on the day.
Caption for image 7293
The Chairman of the Council Councillor Ray Hughes and Mrs Hughes meet Olwen