Flintshire’s Substance Misuse Action Team (SMAT) which is a group within the Community Safety Partnership meets regularly to discuss ways in which we are able to tackle substance misuse issues locally.
The main priority of the SMAT is to ensure the local implementation of the Welsh Assembly Governments’ 10 Year Substance Misuse Strategy for Wales 2008-2018 ‘Working Together to Reduce Harm’. Locally the priorities link into the four main action areas of the strategy, which include:
- Preventing harm.
- Support for substance misusers to improve their health and aid and maintain recovery.
- Supporting and protecting families.
- Tackling availability and protecting individuals and communities via enforcement activity.
Sources of advice and support in and around Flintshire
- Barnardo's Flintshire Services - family support
- Community Drug and Alcohol Service
- Drug Intervention Programme & Foundations
- Harm Reduction Service
- Motivational Enhancement Service
- Needle Syringe Exchange Service
- The Pheonix Group - alcohol support
- Young People’s Drug and Alcohol Team
The Flintshire Substance Misuse Action Team and its sub-groups are made up of the following partner agencies, representatives and organisations:
- North Wales Police
- Wales Probation
- Welsh Assembly Government
- Youth Service
- Youth Justice
- Community Drug and Alcohol Team
- Young Peoples Drug and Alcohol Team
- Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board
- Supporting People
- ARCH Initiatives
- Anti Social Behaviour Coordinator
- Domestic Abuse Forum Representatives
- Children’s Services
- Trading Standards
- Lifelong Learning
Wales Drug and Alcohol Helpline. Point of contact for anyone in Wales wanting further information or help relating to drugs and or alcohol.
dan247.org.uk (new window)
Health Challenge Flintshire (new window). On this site you can find information about: the steps you can take to improve your own health and well being; examples of what organisations in Flintshire are doing to help promote good health and well being; where to find more information on a range of health and well being issues; and where you can get help and support locally to improve the health of yourself or others.